Chapter 10: Plans and Practicality

Dark green trees rose up around Adrien, cutting of the sunlight. Each of his breaths were coming shallow and fast, and his stomach ached with hunger. The green paw on his lucky charm was flashing, and somehow he knew that meant he was running out of time. He had to find food.

Suddenly, Ladybug appeared, holding out two loaves of burnt bread to him. Tears were falling from her eyes and she was wearing her rope around her neck. He wouldn't take the loaves. Marinette would've poisoned them.

"Chat, you don't pay for lives with blackberries," Ladybug said to him. 

Then there was no Ladybug, no trees, just his mother riding her favourite horse in the fields. She was laughing, happy. Then a huge bull appeared out of nowhere, with neon flashing horns and gold tattoos on it's pea-green flank. It charged towards his mother, knocking her off the horse, using it's bright horns to tear her skin.

She screamed.

Adrien sat up in bed, breathing and sweating heavily. It was far from the first time he'd dreamt about his mother's death, but the whole part with Ladybug and Marinette and the bright colours of the bull had only appeared now.

Chat shivered with the memory, sliding out of the sheets and turning to the huge window overlooking the Capitol at dawn. The bright, multicoloured buildings shone in the early light, and while before he had taken in the splendour, now it looked superficial and ostentatious.

He wished he was back in the forest behind District 12. It was his home more than anywhere, and he knew every game trail, every stream and every lake of that land better than he knew himself. He wanted the peace and quiet, the warm sunlight on his face and the peaceful breeze. He wanted the gentle sound of water rushing and ladybugs chirping tunefully. 

If he was back home this morning, he would be out hunting with Kagami, stocking up for the week ahead. That's what they always did together on Sundays. Now she would have to do it for her family and his.

Kagami. He hadn't thought of her in ages. It was all about Ladybug those past few days, so much so that he forgot to miss his best friend. 

Kagami's father was killed in the same accident that Emilie died in, although whether it was really a rogue bull or not Adrien didn't know. Everyone refused to tell him what actually happened. Ever since they found each other in the forest, the two had subtly helped each other get over their parents death while openly helping each other survive.

While Gabriel had completely shut down after his wife's death and refused to work, Kagami's mother was blind and was unable to earn money for the family. The two friends became the bread winners for their parents and siblings, and he trusted Kagami more than anyone else except Plagg.

He was more glad than ever before that they had that special morning together on the day of the Reaping. He needed it to remember Kagami and to remember home in the times coming. He was thankful their last moments of freedom together had been so perfect.

Not last, corrected Adrien, I promised Plagg I would return and I will, and Kagami and I will spend many more mornings like that.

With that determined thought he got out of bed and prepared himself for what the day would bring.

*** 

Marinette's mind was in overdrive as she sat at the table, working her way though something that looked like scrambled eggs but was so full of different flavours she couldn't be sure there was any egg in it.

Her training was over. That meant no more laughing around with Chat, no rope and no more fun sessions on the wrestling mat. Tomorrow was her interview, where her plan will be officially put into action.