Chapter 7: The Opening Ceremony

How had he gotten here? She thought that he was from the same District, and but he hadn't come to the Capitol. Had he really been from another District this whole time?

"What did you say?" Chat Noir asked with a friendly smile.

Right, thought Ladybug, he doesn't know I'm me. He expects me to be another random tribute, but if I reveal that I've seen him before, he'll know I'm Marinette.

"Oh, I was just thinking that your costume seems to be inspired by a black cat." She smiled widely, hoping he wouldn't pick up on her lie.

"Yes, this year they seem to be designing the costumes to match our Lucky Charms." He held up his hand to her, and on his index finger she could see a black ring with a glowing green paw print. 

"Hey girl!" Ladybug heard someone shout over the noise that filled the space. She turned to see a girl with ombre hair, dressed in a fox costume, walking very close to a young man in a green turtle suit.

"Aly-" Ladybug started, then snapped her mouth closed as her stylist placed a finger on her lips and shook her head violently. 

"Call me Rena Rouge," the girl said, as she finally came close enough to speak at a normal volume. 

"And I'm Carapace," the man with her said, holding out his hand. She reached tentatively and shook it. 

"The Capitol knows which tribute got which stylist," Rena explained, "So we have to disguise ourselves if we want to talk to you without exposing your identities."

Ladybug nodded, examining her stylist's costume. The seams were as cunningly sewn as the ones in her own outfit. 

Carapace walked up beside Chat Noir and through an arm around his shoulders. "Dude, you two look sick."

Chat laughed easily, familiarity in his stance. "But you're the one in green," he replied, making all four of them laugh. 

 "I'm really glad with how these turned out," Rena Rouge admitted, "Carapace and I knew that you two would be sharing a chariot, so we made your outfits to match each other."

Chat wrinkled his nose. "But she's wearing a dress and I'm wearing a catsuit."

Ladybug looked at him, her shining eyes filled with knowledge. 

"Maybe," she said, "but the pattern that our clothes are cut from and the fabrics used are very similar. Look at the tiny hexagons formed by the fabric."

She held out her arm to him, and he took her hand, looking at the miniscule shapes she was talking about. There must have been something about her lovely dark hair, mysterious mask and glowing eyes, because he could hardly explain his next action. 

Instead of letting her hand go like a normal person, he bent down and brushed his lips to the soft fabric covering it. Only then did he let go of her hand, but as he stood upright, he winked mischievously at her. 

He could hear Alya squeal in the background, but all his attention was fixed on the girl before him. He could see her cheeks blush slightly beneath her mask, but she leaned forwards and flicked his bell with a boldness that matched her costume. 

"Silly kitty," she said, then turned to Rena. "But why should our costumes match? Even when everyone knows each other's identities, people don't wear matching costumes since the Miraculous Games have a 'every man for himself' kind of attitude."

Rena Rouge was about to answer, but Carapace tapped her shoulder and motioned towards something.

"No time," Rena said, shaking her head. "Get into the Chariot."