Chapter 12: Confession

The audience cheered loudly, the excited screams echoing in his brain. The lights blinded him, imprinting dots onto his retinas. He couldn't see anything beyond the edge of the illuminated stage, just roaring mass like a giant monster - crazed and hungry for blood.

He continued walking forwards, striding strongly even though his left ankle was wobbling uncontrollably. He'd done it, he was on stage. He could only go forwards now.

And forwards did he go, all the way up to the interview chair across from Alec. Like every other thing in the Capitol, it was too comfortable to actually be comfortable. Despite that, he relaxed back into it, trying to appear the opposite of how he felt.

"Well Chat Noir, it's wonderful to have you up here," Alec smiled commercially. "You look fantastic this evening."

Chat swallowed, trying to gather more moisture from his dry mouth. "Thank you," he replied, his voice cracking slightly. 

Remember, it's just like talking to Nino.

"But have a look at you, you're positively glowing," he finished, surprising himself.

Alec and the audience laughed together as Chat gestured to Alec's suit, which was covered in neon stripes that were almost blinding in the stage lights. Chat felt his confidence return with the sound, and the pause gave him the chance to find Nino, who was sitting right up at the front. The stage lights still made it hard for Chat to see beyond the illuminated platform, but he could just make out his friends smile.

"That was not bad, but I'm sure you've got some better ones up your fancy sleeves," Alec winked.

"Well, I meowst admit, I haven't been practicing, but it's no purroblem since these puns come to me caturally."

Another hum of laughter came from the audience, and Chat snuck another side glance at Nino, who was grinning from ear to ear. 

"I think you've officially proved yourself as pun master! Tell me, how have you enjoyed your time Training at the Capitol?"

Before, Adrien would've spat some furious answer about how it was fine, following it up with some mumbles about imminent death, but he realized that the looming threat of the Games and the constricted nature of the Capitol hadn't meant that he didn't enjoy his time there.

"It was unexpectedly fun," Chat replied, "I was completely comfurtable in an environment where I could add to my knowledge of survival skills. I met such clawsome people too.

Alec leaned forward. "Ah yes, you seemed to be very close with the popular contestant, Ladybug."

"She's amazing," Chat said earnestly, "I'm really grateful to have met her. She's such a determined and spirited person, but she's also very likeable and kind."

The crowd let out a little "Awwww".

"It's not just her though," he continued, ignoring the dusting of pink on his cheeks that wasn't stage make-up, "I have also become really good friends with my designer, Carapace. He not only made this magnificent costume, but was also the one who gave me the courage to walk up here and talk to you all."

He heard a light applause, like the arrival of rain, and was satisfied the Nino got the recognition he deserved.

"So, Chat Noir, are you going to tell us who you really are under that bejewelled mask of yours?"

The audience was silent now, and Chat could sense the anticipation. They'd all seemed to suck in a breath together, with some sort of crazy hive-mind they gained from being manipulated and excited.