Chapter 21: Boom

"It's your time to shine, Tikki."

A smile spread across the little girl's face as he said it, but faded into a frown. 

"This is where we separate, isn't it?"

"Yes, but we'll see each other again soon. Maybe even before dinner!" he said, sending her a teasing grin, which she returned easily.

"Look, once I've lit all the fires I need to I'll  use that four-note tune you heard before. If you hear the Ladybugs singing it, you'll know that I've been there recently and that I'm alright."

He nodded. "Of course. I'll meet you in that clearing?"

"Yes. Although if I come across an enemy I might have to go somewhere else."

They stood in silence, the only sound between them the rustling of leaves. He didn't want to be the one to leave. Neither did she.

Suddenly Tikki rushed forwards and threw her arms around him, squeezing tightly. After a moments hesitation he returned the gesture, cradling her gently. In these few moments together, he knew she was safe.

He was undeniably worried about her. Worried in the same way he was worried at Plagg, back at hom in District 12 without him there to look out for him. But at least Plagg had Kagami, Tom and maybe even Gabriel. 

Tikki only has me.

The thought made him reluctant to release her, but when she stepped away he let his arms unravel from around her. Before they could totally disconnect, he gently took her small hands in his.

"The two of us, we'll show them. Those Careers won't know what hit them."

She inclined her head slightly in a nod, still meeting his eyes with her beautiful purple ones. Her mischievous grin was one that could rival Plagg's. Then suddenly she was gone, floating up a tree and flying between them like a little fairy, leaving only a cold breeze to blow between his fingers.

Stay safe.

He wanted to call it after her, but he knew it wasn't necessary. She was resourceful and smart, and she was confident with what she was doing. If he was to trust anyone with this mission, it would be her.

Adrien made his way to the Cornucopia. Tikki told him that she'd been there and knew there was a close copse of trees that let people remain hidden while providing a perfect view of the Career's camp, so he aimed for it.

Once he was there and in position, he took in the sight before him. The Careers had set up a tarp as a roof and put several tents around it. The tributes themselves where sitting under the tarp, seemingly deep in discussion. 

There was only four of them left now. Felix, two girls he didn't remember and the boy from District 5. 

Why is he with them?

District 5 wasn't one of the Districts with Careers and the boy looked scrawny and uncoordinated. He obviously wasn't going to help much on the physical side of things. He must have some knowledge that the others keep him around for.

Adrien's eyes strayed to what lay several metres beside the campsite. The Careers had piled all their extra weapons and supplies in a careful pyramid, right in the centre of the field. It was completely exposed, nothing protecting and hiding any of it.

The boy from District 5, the pile of food - there must be a trick.

He heard a yell from the tents and zoned in to what was happening there.

"Both of them! Those love-struck idiots won't know what hit them."

Felix was standing now, pacing back and forth. His voice was loud, but it was still so controlled and cold. He was angry, but he hadn't broken yet. ,