Chapter 15: Bloody Riot

Marinette felt an intense relief as she saw realization cross Adrien's face. Realization that he wouldn't make it to the staff, to the fray. Realization that she'd stopped him.

She wished she could've continued to watch him. There was an itching, tugging sensation to get to him as quickly as possible, to fight by his side and to protect him. A plan was a plan though, and she couldn't do that just yet. She had too much else to pay attention to, too much else to do.

It was time to join the fight.

Ladybug rocketed off from her starting point, slowing briefly to scoop up a coil of rope. She would exchange it for a fine, strong chain or flexible twine once she got nearer to the centre, but she still needed it to get her there.

A quick glance around the battleground told her who was present - not Adrien, Tikki, Ivan or the fox-faced girl were there, they'd already slipped away into the trees. There were a couple bloody bodies strewn around the place, probably the less learned tributes from Districts 9 and 10 who thought they had a chance at grabbing something before the Careers got them. 

Poor tributes. Foolish tributes. Dead tributes. The thought made her want to throw up and run away but she couldn't forsake those who she was fighting for.

Right at the mouth of the Cornucopia, she spotted Chloe and Felix, the former throwing knives at any non-Careers nearby while the latter took a more direct approach, brandishing a sword and spear with a knife at the ready in his belt. 

Ladybug heard something whizz by her head and she swayed to the left, an arrow passing right beside her face. She turned back to see the girl from District 6 had found herself a bow and arrow that she knew how to use. 

The short glance back had cost her a precious moment of time, because when she turned back to the front ran straight into the bulky boy from District 5. The first blow he sent her way landed, causing her to stumble back and almost fall. Her eye would be black in an hour. 

She quickly regained her balance just in time to instinctively duck under another arrow, which landed in her combatants shoulder. She took advantage of his weakness, hitting the end of the arrow and causing him to cry out in pain as it buried itself deeper in his flesh. Fast as a striking snake, she sent her rope around his midriff, gathering the two ends in her hands and using her hold on him to pull him to the ground. 

She ran on to the centre, not looking at his body. She didn't want to see the blood and the pain she'd caused. 

Another arrow flew by, but it was wide of it's mark, landing in a sack of bread a metre to her right. She tried to make her legs move faster, knowing that a little extra speed would get her to Chloe and Felix before the next arrow was shot.

She was almost there, leaping over weapons and supplies, scooping up a metal rope as she ran and discarding her old rope. Weapon in hands, she straightened up, only to find herself face to face with Chloe; a Chloe that didn't realize they were allies yet. 

She struck out instantly with her small throwing knives, her intense blue eyes gleaming viciously. Ladybug swerved away from the first stab, bringing her left arm up to block Chloe's arm for the next one. The Career slid her hand down, trying to cut Ladybug but she knocked her away just in time, simultaneously flinging out her wire and bringing it across Chloe's neck.

Before she could get behind her and wrap it around her, Chloe brought her other arm up, aiming to stab Ladybug. She jumped away from the attack, wrapping the wire around Chloe's wrist. Quickly, she spun around the tribute, bending her arm behind her back and making her wimper.

"Don't attack me, I'm on your side Chloe!" Ladybug shouted, releasing her wrist and stepping away. The blonde simply flicked back around, still holding her knives, with an angry glare.