1.14

~

~

"I'm so sorry I'm late Professor!" Alice burst through the doors of her transfiguration classroom, wide eyed and breathless and extremely red. Three heads turned to her panting figure, one frowning, two giggling like children.

"Miss Winters," Professor McGonagall tilted her head downward as to inspect the girl over her glasses. "You are late, by twenty minutes in fact."

"I know, I know I'm really sorry. My alarm clock broke and I slept in by accident." It was the truth, Alice had awoken ten minutes after she was supposed to be in detention to the sight of a sleeping Marlene in bed next to her and a smashed clock on the floor. To make an inference, it seemed the McKinnon girl had made a blind clamber to her bed in the night, but chosen the wrong one and knocked her alarm over in the process.

The older woman shook her head slightly and sighed. "I'll let you off this once, but make sure it doesn't happen again."

"Yes, it won't, it really won't." The girl shook her head much quicker. "I promise."

"Take a seat."

"Yes, sorry." She hurried to closest empty desk, the first two being occupied by Sirius Black and James Potter- the girl had forgotten those were the people she were sharing a detention with. Smiling briefly at each one as some small 'hello', she sat down.

"I will let you use this time to finish your essay on the Vanishing spell I set. Remember I want to see evidence of its notable uses in history." Professor McGonagall peered down at them and sighed. Alice wanted to be able to say she'd already started as to impress her teacher, but that would be a lie. The boys' guilty looks suggested they hadn't either. "You have three hours. If you have any questions then come find me in my office next door."

"So you're not staying in here with us?"

"No, Mr Potter, as much as I'd love to spend my weekend with you, I am not."

"But what if-"

"I'll know if you have left the room at any time."

Sirius's eyes narrowed. "But how will you know-"

"I will know."

"What if we need the loo?" The Black boy asked innocently.

James snickered. "Or if there's a fire?"

"Or if a troll attacks us."

"Or if there's a dragon-"

McGonagall coughed. "I highly doubt there will be a dragon, or a troll, or even a fire." The two boys exchanged a look, but the woman cut them off with a glare before they could even open their mouths. "And if you need the toilet then you may go, but I will know if you don't return and therefore you will only land yourself in another detention."