1.07

~

~

"No. Just no." The similarities between Marlene and Dorcas were uncanny; this was all Alice could think as Marlene helped her pick out what to wear. They shared a brutal honesty that was both full of love yet also deadly. "You can't wear those."

"But they're comfy." Alice pouted as she looked to her feet, on which were her favourite pair of bright yellow converse. You could definitely tell they were a favourite: tattered and dirty, they looked as though they'd been worn so much that if they were to be worn just one more time they might just disintegrate. "Besides, my only other option is my school shoes."

Marlene raised an eyebrow. "What about your boots?"

"My boots?"

"Your docs. I know you have them. I've seen them." The other blonde suddenly began a deep dive into the cupboard next to Alice's bed, determination printed onto her face. Eventually she emerged clutching a pair of black boots. "Aha, here see. Why are you hiding such beauties?"

It was common knowledge that Marlene Mckinnon was a doc marten lover, in fact it was rare to see her without them on at weekends. Even in the summer. Alice, on the other hand, had received a pair for her birthday in June, but barley worn them due to the immense pain they put her feet through. She thought they were very stylish though, just didn't think she herself were cool enough to wear them. "Uh-"

"Just put them on. Come on." And so as per usual, Alice gave in to the persuasive ways of her roommate- the person she always came to for fashion advice. Once she'd managed to wriggle her feet into the tight fitting shoes, she stood up and gave a twirl. From out of nowhere, there was a loud coo. At first, the girl thought it was a bird, but a sharp turn to the side let her eyes fall upon Lily Evans who was stood in the empty doorway of the dormitory.

"Oh Merlin, Alice you look adorable!"

She blushed a bright scarlett and looked down at the flowery dress she had on. "Thanks. I mean, it was Marlene who did my makeup and hair and stuff. She did a good job."

"She certainly did." Lily gushed. "You look so pretty. Not that you don't always of course, but-"

"Pretty? No our sweet little Alice looks hot." Marlene smirked widely and took a step back to admire her handy work. "David's gonna find it absolutely impossible to resist you looking like this."

"Davey." She corrected with a smile, then cringed at herself. She wasn't dressing nicely for him, and why was she correcting people on his name like she knew him?

Lily's ears perked up at the unfamiliar name. "Davey? Who's he? Are you going on a date?! Is this why you're so dressed up?"

"No." Alice shook her head rapidly. "No date, nothing like that."

Marlene's mouth dropped open. "But you just told me-"

"I told you Dorcas and June want me to talk to him. Something about 'getting out there' and stuff, you know..." The blonde trailed off, suddenly feeling very sheepish under the friendly but intense stares from her friends. "I might not even talk to him, honestly."