2.23

"There's people in my house

"There's people in my house."

"What?" Alice felt sick. "June what's happening?"

The mirror was for the most part dark on the other side, but occasionally, when she held it at the right angle, Alice could see her friend's face on the other side. She looked terrified.

"I think - " June breathed shakily, "I think they've hurt my dad. I couldn't find my brother either. He was shouting but - but he - Alice I don't know what to do."

"Hold on. Hold on, I think James's parents are here. Stay quiet. They'll be able to get help."

June nodded quickly, and as the mirror tilted slightly Alice could see the streaks of tears down her face.

She sprinted out of her room, into the hallway, and down the stairs to the kitchen. Sure enough James's parents, clearly only just having gotten back in from whatever dinner party they'd been to, were stood putting their coats away.

"Alice? Are you alright darling?" Mia asked, immediately sending the distress on Alice's face.

Monty jumped slightly, not having noticed her run to them, "we thought you'd be asleep", but any smile from his face dropped too when he turned around. "What's wrong?"

"My friend June." Alice said, breathing quickly. "She's in trouble. She said there's someone in her house and they've hurt her dad."

"Hurt her dad?" Monty repeated quietly.

"He's a muggle. So is the rest of her family. I'm worried - you don't think - is there anything you can do?"

James's dad wasted no time.

"Send a patronus to the order, make sure it gets to Dumbledore," he instructed his wife, who nodded and left the room swiftly. "Alice I can apparate to the ministry and alert them of an attack. The Aurors are quick. What's your friend's name?"

"June. Juniper Smith."

"Do you know where she lives?"

"Um, near York somewhere I think. I'm sorry, I don't know."

"That'll be enough." He nodded at her as he pulled his coat back on. Then, in a slightly softer voice, "she's going to be okay, alright? Don't worry."

Alice tried a smile, but she simply couldn't. There was a loud crack just seconds after the back door slammed and then silence.

She paced back to the living room and looked down once more at the mirror. Nothing had changed. Not yet.

"June?"