1.06

~

~

Classes ended on Thursday at half three, which for most meant they had an evening to themselves. For Alice and the rest of the Gryffindor quidditch team, however, attendance was required on the pitch for practice. She of course didn't mind this, because despite the harsh chill that nipped at her fingers, the girl had been looking forward to flying all day.

"We have one week. One week until the first match." Their current captain, Robert Bell, was one for dramatics. He was their keeper, and reminded them of it constantly with constant comments about how bad they'd do if he wasn't guarding the goal. Alice thought him to be quite big-headed, but she couldn't deny he was very good, so maybe he had the right to brag. "One week is-"

"We know how long a week is Bell. We're not idiots." James Potter smirked as he spoke, earning a few quiet laughs from the group of seven that were gathered around in a circle on the field.

"Don't interrupt your superiors Potter. Remember it's me who gave you your position. I can just as easily take it away." Rob wasn't smiling, in fact there was not a single trace of positivity in his voice, and as he snarled the rest of the group dropped their own amused grins.

James just scoffed. Alice wished he wouldn't because James was a huge asset to the team and she knew Rob would happily get rid of him if he became too much of an annoyance. Plus she quite enjoyed his company. "Sorry sir."

Fabian Prewett- a sixth year beater along with his brother Gideon- let out a loud cough, one that was clearly a cover up for a laugh. He dipped his head as the captain glared at him before looking back to James.

"You are not the captain here. You best remember that." It looked as though he were about to continue, but was interrupted by a small murmur from the Potter boy. Alice, who was stood right next to James, heard exactly what was said, but she didn't dare react to it when Bell was shooting daggers in their direction. "What was that?"

"Nothing."

"No you said something. What was it?" Robert took a step closer, but James kept his calm, unbothered expression and didn't move even an inch.

"I said," He sighed with a playful grin tugging at his lips. "Not yet."

There was a tense moment of silence where the seventh year captain glared with an unwavering gaze at the fifth year chaser who stood his ground and stared right back. The rest of them shared uneasy looks, although Alice found herself trying not to laugh as she made eye contact with Gideon, who was flipping off Rob behind his back.

Eventually the silence was broken by a stark laugh. "Ha! You think you could be captain?"

"Yeah. Yeah actually I do."

"Maybe we should just get started guys...we haven't got that long-" Alice had tried to intervene; partly because she didn't want a fight, partly because her toes had gone numb from standing around in the cold. Instead she too was silenced by a scowl.