1.05

~

~

The first few weeks of term blended into one big blur, and quite a mundane one at that. Alice loved Hogwarts, it was amazing and it took a lot for her to complain about lessons when she knew her old primary school classmates were still stuck doing Maths and English, but so far there was nothing all that exciting that had taken place. Even her classes had become pretty average, mainly involving recapping subjects they'd already learnt last year.

She hadn't spoken to Peeves since that first night back, although perhaps that was because she was actively avoiding the poltergeist, and hadn't had any strange or negative encounters with anyone. Duncan Cooper hadn't sent any harsh words her way since his overnight trip to the hospital wing, courtesy of Sirius Black, and had instead taken to just glaring at the girl from a distance. She was used to this, of course, because it was just what she had faced before anyway, minus the snide comments.

The group of Marauders had been up to their usual mischievous antics, occasionally jinxing unsuspecting students, but no big pranks or school disturbances had yet graced the hallways of Hogwarts. Alice wondered if they were planning something, though hadn't really spoken to Sirius in History of Magic enough to know the truth. She had sat with Peter a few times at lunch or evenings in the common room, but he was usually scampering after his friends which was understandable. Most of her time was spent with Dorcas anyway.

This, however, lead to the subject of Juniper Smith, who had weaved her way into the lives of Alice and Dorcas without even really meaning to. Twice more they had to help with the infamous Ravenclaw riddle- both times being guessed correctly by the Hufflepuff. Dorcas was rather pleased with herself. This, in turn, had led to an unlikely friendship between the three girls, who had found themselves waving at each other when passing in corridors and sitting together at various mealtimes. Alice wanted to think the trio was strange, but the more they got to know June, the more she realised they fit together actually quite well. June, whilst actually the smartest of the three, lacked all common sense. If she needed to, she could recite the entire 'Standard Book of Spells - Grade Three' off by heart, however had left her wand by her bed on numerous occasions. She, unlike the rest of her house, wasn't all that quick witted, nor particularly creative. In this sense she didn't quite fit in with her fellow housemates, just as Dorcas and Alice didn't quite. But together, they were brilliant.

The first of October 1975 was very cold. Too cold for Alice's liking. Wearing coats over their robes always ended up looking rather strange, and it was such a hassle carrying them around when not wearing them, so the girl usually stuck to gloves and scarves and hats. However today there was such a harsh chill in the air that the Gryffindor girl swore to Dorcas her fingers were about to fall off.

"We shouldn't be outside. Not in this wind." Dorcas replied, teeth chattering as they made their way to their Care of Magical Creatures class, which conveniently for them happened to be taking place outside. "Child abuse. That's what it is."