2.02

~

~

Astronomy was a definite, potions too. She'd already put them down, and now just needed Professor McGonagall to confirm she was able to complete all her chosen subjects going into sixth year. There wasn't really anything that special about them, they were rather generic being core subjects and all, but ultimately she decided it would be better to have some open ended options. She'd thought about continuing with Care of Magical Creatures as it was a subject she'd always loved, but Alice had been researching and many employers only saw it relevant if the job itself had something to do with creatures.

"You're doing defence against the dark arts too?" James asked, leaning over her shoulder to read her form.

She nodded, trying to fight the blush at her cheeks that came alongside him being so close to her face. "Figured it would be useful, especially at the moment with all this... stuff."

Alice trailed off, unsure of what to call their current political climate, but he understood what she meant. Nearly everyone she'd spoken to had chosen to continue the course to N.E.W.T level; McGonagall said it had never been so full.

"What else did you pick?"

She looked down at her list as he shuffled onto the bench beside her. Alice knew exactly why: Lily was sat opposite chatting happily to Marlene about her Outstanding in Arithmancy.

"Um, Astronomy, Potions, Transfiguration and Charms."

He hummed. "Not six? Seven?"

Alice shook her head. "I thought about it. Herbology would help if I wanted to become a Healer, but I don't know if I do."

"I thought you liked all that Magical Creature stuff." James said, shoving a biscuit into his mouth whilst eyeing Lily, who still hadn't even cast a glance in his direction.

She smiled at him. They'd shared the class for years, but she didn't think she'd ever properly had a conversation with him about it. "I do, yeah."

"Then take it. You're smart, you'll be great." He replied, grinning. The moment was short lived however. "Hey, Evans."

She didn't reply, in fact Alice could have sworn Lily was sliding down the bench.

"Evans! Lily!" He called out. "Lilyflower you- "

But Professor McGonagall had reached Lily and was now looking over her form. Once signed and approved, Lily got up to go. James stood up too as if to call out to her again but McGonagall gave him a stern look and he sat back down looking defeated and miserable.