2.06

~

~

"Why on earth are they coming here at a time like this? Surely it's not safe." Alice whispered to Lily as they waited at the Gryffindor table. The whole school was buzzing at the new arrivals, though no one knew anything about them yet, not even how many there'd be. Dumbledore had called the school to an introductory breakfast to welcome them, but they had not yet arrived leaving everyone in nervous excitement . "And why a random Tuesday in the middle of October?"

Lily shrugged, eyes on the doors of the Great Hall that had not yet been opened. The two girls were sat with the rest of the Gryffindor sixth years, all of whom were curious at what was going on. It seemed rather random to invite Ilvermorny students over whilst the wizarding world was at war, which it made it rather suspicious.

"They'll be fine," Sirius muttered, distaste clear in his voice, "the whole lot of them are muggle hating monsters."

"Really?" Alice asked, a little surprised. She hadn't done much research into America and its magical policies; she'd assumed it would be like here, if not better.

Marlene nodded. Apparently they'd all been listening to Alice's questioning. "I heard they don't even let you into school if you're not a pureblood."

"But I thought one of the founders was a muggle?" Lily looked confused. "I read somewhere that it was a really good school."

"Perhaps," Sirius continued, scowling, "but their Government is filled with assholes. I reckon they play a hand in monitoring who gets in and who doesn't."

"And how do you know that?" Peter asked. He previously hadn't been paying any attention, and instead was filling up on the small amount of pastries they'd been allowed before the proper dinner. Now, however, even he seemed mildly interested.

"Father wanted to send me and Regg- Regulus to Durmstrang when we were little, but Mother thought Ilvermorny might be more appropriate. Said the Ministry there is stricter, don't allow all the mixing nonsense."

Peter nodded, deciding that that was a pretty good response and didn't need debate. He would never ague with the likes of the Blacks.

"Like Alice said, surely it isn't safe here at the moment." Mary was frowning. "And Voldermort doesn't exactly seem like the type to be nice to foreigners."

"I suppose if anywhere in Britain is safe, it's Hogwarts." Lily murmured. They all nodded along.

"And besides, Americans think they're all that and more. Probably reckon they could take on Voldermort themselves." Sirius said. "If they're not already on his bloody side that is."

Remus scoffed. "Look who's talking."

"Oi!"

Marlene snickered. "Yeah, wasn't it just yesterday you told us all you'd hunt him down yourself if you had to."