1.30

~

~

        The twenty sixth of June meant two things: it was the last day of term and it was Alice Winters' birthday. She was very excited (mostly because of the breakfast feast Dorcas had promised her), and had spent the entirety of the previous day smiling her socks off. The exception to this was the half hour after the Quidditch match against Ravenclaw in which they realised they'd lost the Quidditch Cup to Slytherin. They'd won the match, but the Slytherin team had won all of their matches, therefore giving them the most points overall. Bell rushed quickly off to the changing rooms when it was announced and they didn't see him again after that; Gideon reckoned he was crying.

But Quidditch was over, and now it was time to celebrate. Sixteen felt way too old, but Alice supposed she was glad to finally be the same age as her friends again. Sixteen; she wondered what the year would include.

"Happy Birthday!"

Alice had not yet even gotten out of bed when two faces appeared above her bed. Of course the girl was startled, it was the last thing she'd been expecting first thing. In a sluggish scramble to sit up she hit her head against the headboard and ended up groaning loudly.

"Sorry Alice," Marlene grinned sheepishly, "Thought you'd be up by now."

Alice chuckled softly. "I was awake, just... dozing."

"You've had your time to doze, now budge up so I can sit down." Mary swatted at her legs still under her duvet before wriggling into the spot they'd just been at the end of the bed, crossing her own legs and staring up at Alice excitedly. She held out a small box. "Here. Happy Birthday."

Alice took the box, wrapped neatly in flowery paper, and gasped lightly. "You didn't have to get me anything."

"We know." Marlene replied, perching next to her friend on the bed.

Mary nodded. "But you got us both chocolate on our birthdays so it was only fair. It is from both of us mind."

"I know I did but I wasn't expecting- "

"Just shut up and open it." The MacDonald girl flicked a finger at her leg.

Slowly, Alice unwrapped the gift. It took a minute to get into it with Mary's tight wrapping skills, famously difficult but exceptionally neat, though once it was off she opened the small box and gasped all over again. Inside was a necklace, dainty but beautiful. It was a simple silver chain, but on the end a snowflake. It shimmered under the light of the morning sun, though the prettiest part was the elegant crystal in the centre.