1.29

~

~

The Great Hall was as it had never been before. The room was completely golden, a luminous glow surrounding them. Walls were covered in shimmering cloth and twinkling flowers that somehow cast out their own lights, creating spots of dancing golden shine. Occasionally they would hit someone, lighting up their face in a way that made them look beautifully mesmerising, as if under the sun.

There was a soft piano, accompanied by a violin, playing gentle songs with gentle melodies, fitting nicely in with the atmospheric flush. Alice knew, however, that later there would be a real band. She hadn't told anyone other than Mary in case it didn't work out, but Dumbledore said he'd call them in for the night as he was a close personal friend.  She couldn't really imagine her headmaster being a 'close personal friend' to Death Dragon, but chose not to question any further when all he did was stare at each question she asked. He did assure her though that their music was a lot lighter than it sounded. In the end she decided just to take his word for it.

Alice was currently sat waiting for Fabian on one of the many tables set out around the edges of the room. They'd just spent an hour or so twirling around under the large disco ball that floated in the sky, and both were feeling a little tired.

"Here." He smiled at her as he approached, in his outstretched hand a cup of butterbeer.

"Thank you." She smiled back, taking a sip immediately. "I was running out of energy."

"Me too," Fabian laughed, "me too."

The formalities of the event were quickly fading. Even just one hour in, people were taking their shoes off and letting their hair down. This didn't mean anyone was having any less fun, of course. In fact, the dance floor was still crowded with students waltzing around dramatically and giggling to themselves. They were all having fun, which was what mattered most.

"Oh Godric, what's he doing now?" Fabian muttered under his breath, eyebrows scrunching.

She followed the direction of his eye to find what he was looking at, and laughed when she saw Gideon leaning up against the wall in a rather flirtatious pose. The victim of his ways was none other than Professor Sprout.

"Wow."

"Wow indeed," Fabian took another drink, smirking. "Sometimes I worry about him."

Alice laughed. "You're both as bad as each other."

"Hm," he hummed, "Touché."

She was very much enjoying her time with Fabian Prewett. They'd been friends for years, but she'd never really spent much time with him or his brother outside of Quidditch. There was a time in her third year where she sat with them for a bit in the Three Broomsticks one weekend, but it had only been for an hour or so whilst she was waiting for Dorcas. He was incredibly funny, and also friendly too. It was also nice being able to talk to him by himself for a bit; a change to the usual but a nice change all the same.