2.13

~

~

Lily was sat to the side, nervously chewing her nails as she watched Severus Snape. He himself had been hovering beside Alice's hospital bed for a silent few minutes now, eyes flickering between her face and her bandages and her pile of bloody tissues that had already grown since they'd arrived.

"Well?" Lily asked suddenly, disrupting the silence. "Do you know it?"

Severus snarled at her impatience and snappy voice. "I'm trying to figure it out."

"Right... yes. Well, keep going then." Lily replied, and she returned to her bitten fingernails. Lily never bit her nails. In fact, she used to scold Alice for biting her nails. Alice didn't know whether to be worried by this. She still wasn't sure what was going on or why Snape was there, but she supposed any help was better than nothing.

"And you're sure that was what he said?" Severus asked after another uncomfortable few minutes of him frowning down at her.

Alice nodded slowly. He'd asked what spell had been used, and honestly she could barely remember, but she'd recited it as best she could. "I think."

"You think or you know?" Severus snapped.

"Uh... "

"One or the other, which is it?"

"Don't get arsy with her," Lily cut him off. Alice was glad she had. "She's been through enough. I'd like to see you cope this well after being cursed."

Severus looked like he had a lot he wanted to say, but he kept his mouth closed on the matter and shook his head. "I know what the spell was."

Alice felt her eyebrows lift with surprise. "You do?"

He nodded. She thought he might elaborate on how or why or who, but he simply said, "Yes."

"But do you know a counter curse?" Lily sat up straighter in her chair now he'd confirmed it, a hopeful glimmer in her eye. "How to reverse it? To heal it?"

His mouth twitched. "I... "

"Well? Yes or no? Which is it?" Lily demanded. She must be the only person in existence with the ability to talk to Snape like that and not get hexed in some way, though Alice thought he did look to be getting a little frustrated.

"I might."

The redhead stood. "So what are you waiting for? Get on with it!"