Night 14. Dawning Day [Part 1]

Night 14

Dawning Day Part 1

"Ichiru?"

Zero frowned. Why would anyone be calling his brother? His deceased brother? Zero crouched down and peeked around the corner to see if he could get a view of the probable enemy, but the person was hiding as well, hiding at the mouth of the tunnel.

"Zero...," Kaito crouched down too, "This probably isn't a good time to mention this, but, Ichiru hasn't been alive for almost a year now and this person thinks you're him."

"I can see that. Thank you, Kaito," Zero hissed through gritted teeth. He instinctively reached out and grabbed Kira's wrist and yanked her down to her knees. He forced her to look at him, "Don't even think about it. Whoever that is just fired a machine gun at us and could still be holding it. They are dangerous."

"Dangerous and looking for Ichiru," Kira replied, brushing her fringe from her eyes, "Maybe they aren't the enemy."

"Don't be stupid, Kira," Zero scolded. "They are dangerous, and they are looking for trouble."

"They are looking for Ichiru," she hissed back.

"Anyone looking for Ichiru is trouble," he growled slowly. Zero could feel his temper flare and glared at Kira the way he glared at all his enemies, and even how he glared at those noisy Day Class girls and everyone backed down. Everyone except for Kira. She met his glare head on.

"I was looking for Ichiru," she said slowly and yanked her wrist free form his grasp. She stood up and jumped into the tunnel before Zero could stop her.

Kaito and Zero were on their feet without thinking, standing directly behind her when they noticed someone else was standing at the end of the tunnel too. Someone that gave off the exact same energy as them...a Hunter.

"Ichiru, I found you!" the silhouette ran towards them and just before they reached them, Kira spun out, performing a perfect roundhouse kick that landed directly on the new hunter's face. He was knocked out instantly, collapsing to the ground.

"What the holy hell was that for?!" Kaito demanded.

"I wasn't going to rush out weapon-less towards someone that could have possible shot at us with a machine gun!" Kira shouted, "I'm not an idiot."

Zero let his breath go and grabbed Kira, pulling her close to his chest. Hugging her tightly, he put his mouth by her ear, "Don't you ever – ever! – scare me like that again. You could have been shot at!" he pushed her away and held her at arm's length.

Kira's eyes were wide and she blinked slowly, "Calm your nerves, Kiryuu. I'm not a dummy. I know when the situation is dangerous."

There was something off about her tone. Zero let go of her and stared, just stared, dumfounded, "Are you seriously mad at me right now?!"

"You think everyone that goes looking for Ichiru is trouble. Remember, Kiryuu, I came here looking for your twin! Have you ever considered that the people that were tracking him down care about him?!" she pointed an accusing finger at Zero.

"If anyone cared about him, he would still be here!" Zero shouted loudly, his voice echoed around the dark tunnel. Zero regretted the words the minute they escaped his lips, because hurt flickered in Kira's eyes, even though she wouldn't show the emotion on his face.

Kira narrowed her gaze, "You cared about him and he still isn't here...," she said slowly but Zero knew the words would just bounce off of him. There was nothing anyone could say about his twin that he hadn't already thought up himself. Kira, Zero thought, knew this. But she just shook her head and turned away from him, "Fuck you, Zero. Seriously."