Night 19. Blood

WARNING: This chapter includes references to drugs, being drugged and the date-rape drug and maybe you could read into it and see that someone thinks someone else may or may not have been raped. The point is, this chapter is a little dark and gruesome and I don't know how to type a warning. Soooooo, sorry for that but I might have to change the rating of this story from T to M.

Night 19

Blood

Kaname Kuran was sitting in the room that had now become his prison, alone and bored and staring at the chess pieces before him. He was holding the white king in his hand, twirling and moving the king between his fingertips. He was staring at the black chess pieces opposite him. Never in all his long life had he ever met a Hunter – a human, who had extraordinary abilities before. He'd never met a Vampire with such power either.

The ability to bring the dead back to life.

That was not a gift. That was a curse. A damned curse. A curse that could be an incredible burden to bear on such small shoulders. Kaname sighed, he'd only felt sorry for a Hunter once, and that was when he first saw the cursed Kiryuu Twins. Now, he felt twice as much for Sudikako-chan.

Four was an unlucky number. In Saisho training there was only meant to be one victor, but there were four. And they went on to have cursed lives with cursed children. Yuuki was now one of those children and in turn, so was he. It was like a bad fairy-tale: cursed knights and cursed princesses.

"Kaname," Kaname didn't hear Yuuki come in, so he was shocked to find her right beside him. She gave him a small smile, "I brought you some tea."

"Thank you. It wasn't necessary," he watched as Yuuki put the tray down between the two chess pieces, separating them. She filled his cup with sugar and saw that she was wearing a small smile, "What are you smiling about?"

"Kira told me that you beat her at chess," Yuuki admitted softly. She giggled, "She told me that she expected nothing less because she doesn't know how to play chess."

Kaname rolled his eyes, "If she doesn't know how to play, she shouldn't have come to play."

Yuuki handed Kaname his tea and still wore a smile, "She's different from other Vampire Hunters. She feels comfortable in our presence, relaxed and doesn't treat us any different despite the bad blood that supposedly separates us."

"She can be dangerous, Yuuki," Kaname stared at the cup of tea he held in his hands, "It makes me wonder what else these cursed Hunters are capable of."

"The Chairman is a cursed Hunter," Yuuki mentioned softly. "I think I heard him tell Sudikako-sama that he's the reason that his precious brothers were all cursed."

"The Hunters are complicated, Yuuki," Kaname replied. "If someone in your family is turned into a Vampire, they are considered weak and discarded. They'd have to work their way up to the top of the ranks all over again. If you are a twin, you are cursed. If you're a female, you're cursed. If you're anything near the number four...you are cursed."

"The number four?" Yuuki turned to Kaname, "Zero's father, he was the fourth son, right?"

"Kiryuu Ramona had three sons before Kiryuu Senji. All were still born sons. Kiryuu Senji was the only living one. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a twin too, just like the Chairman was," Kaname sipped his tea. "Twins are a curse to Vampires as well."

"I don't think they are cursed," Yuuki replied. "Zero and Ichiru were born the way they were because they had to be born that way. Kira is the same."

"What about Kira's brother?" Kaname asked.

"What about Kira's brother?" Yuuki stood up, "Do you think Kenni-chan is cursed, too? I bet you think that Kira's older sister is cursed as well."