Epilogue

"Can I can a milkshake over here?"

"Just a minute!"

The little café was bustling with the noise of patrons and customers as the waiters and waitresses scurried from place to place delivering food and collecting dishes. Mona stood behind the main counter, writing a report on the café's progress. She was glad that it had increased since hiring more people but seeing it was the only café that stayed open so late, her little shop was the town's favourite.

The little bell rang in the distance, announcing a new customer. She looked up and smiled, "Welcome to Late Night Café! Shall I get you a table?"

"Good evening," the new patron greeted with a small smile. She pointed to the table at the back, "I'd like to sit there please. I'm sorry if it's a strange request. I just like watching the people."

Mona's dark eyes went to the table at the back and she gathered up a menu, "Of course, right this way," she took the new patron to the table at the back right in the corner where anyone could see the whole café. The patron sat down and Mona was about to present a menu––

"I know what I'm having, thank you," the kind patron held up her hand. "I would like a steak please. Rare with some potatoes if it's at all possible."

"One rare steak coming up! Would you like something to drink?" the patron shook her head as Mona jotted down the order. She gathered up the menu and the new patron grabbed her wrist.

"Um, one more thing. I want the steak to be really, really rare. As if it was just cut from the cow," the woman smiled widely.

Mona raised an eyebrow, "You want your steak raw?"

The woman giggled, "Sorry. Pregnancy cravings!"

Mona smiled, "Oh, of course! I understand completely," she smiled widely. "One rare steak coming right up!"

Mona went back to the counter to place her order. It wasn't so strange to get such a strange request. It seemed that the later they went into the night, the stranger the request. And Mona's sister had strange cravings as well with her first child. While Mona waited for her order, she scanned the café that with every passing moment seemed to take her patrons away––

Ding!

She turned, "Welcome to the Late Night Café!" she stopped but still smiled, "Oh hello Mr. Mysterious. No shadow today?"

"Not today, no. He's at home," her usual guest replied. His dark eyes met hers and he gave her a heart-breaking beautiful smile, "Quite busy tonight, aren't we?"

"Just a usual Friday night," Mona replied. She glanced at her watch, "If we aren't too busy, Baby Doll can leave her usual time."

"We can wait. We're not exactly in a rush to get home," he knocked her counter with his knuckles, "But I'll be waiting in my usual booth."

"Oh, sorry, dear. Your booth has been taken by another customer," Mona gestured to the woman sitting at the back. "A pregnant mommy that needs to satisfy her cravings," there was a ding behind her. She whirled around and there her bloody steak sat in the plate, "And here it is! A really, really rare steak. Sit by the bar, dear. We'll hopefully be done soon."

He nodded and moved to the bar, keeping his eyes not on Mona, on the pregnant woman at the back of the café. Mona gathered up the utensils and stopped, "Baby Doll, your escort is here."

Her eyes immediately darted to the table at the back but she searched the café until she found him. She smiled at Mona, "Oh, thanks Mona. I'll say hi to him when I'm done."

"Good girl," Mona grinned and continued on her path, placing the raw steak in front of her patron. "Will there be anything else?"

"This is perfect, thank you," the woman replied.