Chapter 46

"Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian is carrying your child!"

Jiayi's statement resounded like a clashing symbol in the second Jade's ears. He was numb when Xichen guided him to sit. Dumbfounded, he could not utter the important question; How?...So Lan Xichen took the liberty to ask for him.

"Wei Ying left the Cloud Recesses years ago to fulfil a dangerous wish. He wanted to alter his body so he could give you a child of your own... I guided him to his Grandmother, Baoshen Sanren's realm so he could fight for it. It's the reason why Wei Ying looks like himself but acts different sometimes.", Jiayi summed it up for them. Wen Ning entered the room and all heads turned for a moment.

"So what you're saying is that Wei Ying is no longer a man?", Xichen probed further. Wangji 's gaze edged towards Jiayi, fearing the answer.

"Wei Ying is still a man, he just cant reproduce the way a man does.", Jiayi tried not to confuse them the more. She looked over at Sizhui, who cried silently in the corner. In that instant her anger was replaced with remorse.

"Lan Wangji, ZewuJun, I know you shouldn't be hearing this news from me but I cant watch my Shidi lose another child so easily due to all these secrets."

"Another...what?", Wangji's throat gave out.

Jiayi sighed. Everything had happened so fast she worried Wangji might not take the revelation kindly. "Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian...Wei Wuxian's transformation was a success but it has been difficult for his body to carry the child. He needed peace of mind to balance his new core with the ability to control Yin..."

Wangji raised his head, "A new core?"

Jiayi nodded, "Yes, a new core. This core is not like any other; many would kill for it...Whenever the core senses Wei Ying in danger or distress, it would act on its own accord to protect him since he is yet to master control over it. So the child, seen as a foreigner inflicting pain would have a lesser chance of survival. Wei Ying would become weak and the least strain inflicted on him could cause a miscarriage...Your partner has already lost five pregnancies over the year."

"Fi...Five?", Hanguanjun stammered, dazed by his surroundings. Lan Xichen wrapped his head around the unbelievable tale when Jiayi turned to him.

"ZewuJun, the day your wife got injured by Wei Ying, he was carrying the fifth. Madam Lan's actions caused him to bleed out...With all due respect, I would have crippled her if I'd known of it earlier. The effort Wei Ying put into keeping that pregnancy could make any woman go insane. I count her lucky his core did not vent out that day.", Jiayi had to control her resurfacing rage.

Lan Xichen lowered his head. The truth can be bitter. Wangji was overwhelmed by everything. All those times Wei Ying prevented him from touching him. Those days Wei Ying slept more than he should have. The unstable mind, times he thought there was something different about his partner and his refusal to take liquor or go on night hunts. Why would Wei Ying keep all of this from him?

"Lan Wangji, Wei Ying may have rushed into everything but he meant well. And if he found it hard to tell you, it was because he was not sure of himself.", Jiayi could discern some of Wangji's concerns.

"Did Sizhui know about everything?", Lan Zhan seemed withdrawn. No sooner had he asked than his son raised his head; eyes red with tears. Sizhui's lips not opening was evidence that he was not sorry for helping Wei Ying hide it from him.

Lan Wangji crumbled on the floor before Sizhui and grabbed him by the shoulder. Xichen went to stop him from doing anything he'd regret. It was never in Wangji's nature to express his anger with words and fists, neither did he ever lay a hand on Lan Yuan. But this was all...too much.