Chapter 17

Lan Wangji barged into Lan Sizhui's chambers and calmed down a little when he saw that his son was not in the room. 'He must be with Wei Ying.', he reasoned. It would not be the first time both of them snuck out so Wangji walked back to his room and continued waiting. He tried to get a shut eye but he was too restless, which made him opt for meditation. At five in the morning, Lan Wangji began his routine.

By this time they should have been back, but both his partner and his son were still not home by midday. 'He'll be back before the sun goes down.' Wangji assured himself again; trying not to act desperate.

A little after sun down he heard a knock on his door. Lan Wangji opened it. Right in front of him was the son he had been looking for earlier. "Sizhui...", he said softly with his deep voice as he looked around. "Where is he?".

The young man could barely look Wangji in the eye and kept his head down. His hesitation sent so many signals of worry. "Is he hurt or in danger?", Wangji grew distressed but the boy only shook his head.

Lan Sizhui, "He...He left."

Lan Wangji, "Where to?"

Lan Sizhui, "...I don't know."

Lan Wangji, " When will he be back?"

"He might not come back... I tried to stop him but couldn't.", The boy finally lifted his head, revealing a face full of tears. "He...He left again!" Sizhui wept bitterly. Lan Wangji grabbed him by the shoulder, telling him to calm down and explain himself but the boy could barely let out a word. He remembers seeing Sizhui in this state once; after he picked him up at the burial mounds.

Lan Wangji did not know how to react to the news but he embraced his son in an attempt to calm him down. "Don't worry, I'll bring him back home. Do you...know why he left?"

"Hanguanjun!... Do you really not know why?", Sizhui moved away from his embrace and asked with an indifferent look which made the other surprised. After a moment of silence, the boy bowed and then left without saying another word...

"Sizhui! There you are, Hanguanjun has been looking for you for a while now. How come I didn't see you yesterday?", Lan Jingyi rushed to his side when he set eyes on him. "Sorry, I went to my Uncle and couldn't return... I'll be in my room then." Sizhui wiped his face and walked pass him with his head down. "Wait...", Jingyi caught his hand and pulled him back. "What happened?", his hands found their way to Sizhui's face as he drew closer to look. "Why are your eyes red...". Jingyi's fingers gently caressed his cheeks.

Being so close to someone he felt comfortable with, Sizhui's tears came running again without warning. He didn't mind Jingyi knowing what happened, but he still could not say everything. "He did it again...He left me again.", Lan Sizhui said amidst helpless sobs.

Earlier....**************************************************************

It was another day and Sizhui had just finished supervising some junior disciples. Since it was a Thursday and he was not on duty, he decided to help his Aunt get some fresh herbs and spices. Lan Sizhui, realized that his 'mother' was not in the cloud recesses so he assumed he was already at Wen Ning's.

His thoughts were confirmed once he reached his Uncle's place and saw Wei Ying's footwear at the door. A warm smile appeared on his face as he thought of the mischievous things Wei Ying must be up to, since he left home without him. Without anymore delay he went into the house. "Uncle...Mother...", He called after checking one or two rooms. He bent down to take off his shoe when he got to Wei Ying's room but paused when he heard something unusual.

It was not in his nature to eavesdrop but the words Lan Sizhui heard had alarmed him so he listened for a little while and he grew upset. Without hesitation he opened the door and entered.