Chapter 16 ✔️

PoV Riccardo

Hilarious how Francesca scared Stella. It was not easy to keep my face straight, when my housekeeper grabbed the young woman and took her upstairs. Most likely to show her the room she would stay in. Since that was not my duty, I walked into my office and sat down. It had been a good day so far. I had slept well, got my daughter back and somehow, I was glad I did not have to kill Isabella's mother. The older scars on her body made me realize, that this woman would indeed do everything to protect her little girl. I was certain that she had been abused in her childhood. The scars on her back looked like those you got when someone had hit you repeatedly with a belt until the skin was taken off the flesh. They were fading, but still visible. Possibly ten years old or something like that. The scars on her belly concerned me more.

He thinks I am dead anyway.

Why the heck did this statement make me feel uncomfortable? I knew I should not care at all and although I behaved like a dick towards her after she made that statement, I realized at that moment I had to protect her. On the other hand, it was plain stupid of me to take her in. I could hear the fucking wedding bells in my head. But what should I have done instead? Left her alone without her child? She was right, Isabella needed her. Still, I wanted to scare Stella away. She had no clue what was going to happen to her on this property. I would not be able to protect her from the biggest danger here, which was me. A marriage with me would kill her or at least drive her insane. There was only one solution. I had to convince her that it was better for her to leave on her own. Preferred before my father found a priest to get us married.

Someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I sighed internally, not in the mood to deal with business stuff. To watch mother and daughter interact with each other sounded a lot more tempting right now.

"You have come to your senses finally?" Mario walked in with a big grin on his face. Not this again!

"If you are talking about Isabella's mother, she is only here to make the little one happy." I poured myself a glass of Bourbon. Sure, it was still early, but I deserved it today.

"And how long until she makes you happy as well?" Coughing I spit out the sip I had just taken before.

"You are not going to inform my father," I growled. "Stella will be left alone. I highly doubt that she will stay for long anyway."

"You are planning to make her life as miserable as possible here, aren't you?" My consigliere shook his head. "She will not leave voluntarily without the girl. This woman will do everything for her child. You can trust me on this one. And concerning your father, he will notice soon enough. Or do you really think you can keep him away from his granddaughter?"

No, I could not keep him away. Since I had taken Isabella in, he had been here more often than ever before.

"He cares more for my daughter than he cares for me," I mumbled, my shoulders dropped. All the cuddles and affection she received from him. Something I had missed in my childhood a lot.

"That is not true, and you know it." Mario sighed. "First, she is a girl and girls get more protection in our kinds of family. You know that. Further, you are his only child. Your father always wanted four or five children, but your mother could not give him more." The last bit sounded bitter. I was not the only one who did not believe in my mother's innocence. Mario hated her.

"I am glad that you took the mother in. Especially considering your own life. You cannot deny your daughter the one thing you missed the most." He spoke through his teeth, his posture stiff. He was right, but I feared the consequences.