Chapter 10 ✔️

PoV Riccardo

"Boss, that woman is not dangerous. She really does not remember her daughter. And she is quite shy." Romano finished his report. He did a great job today. Although he only had to follow her, he even managed to have a conversation with her. That went better than expected.

"But there was something I did not like. The guy at the café was paying too much attention to her. Sure, she is sweet. But I doubt that he is serious about her." I glanced at him. The frown on his face irritated me. If he was not comfortable with the situation, then something was wrong. Besides, knowing that another guy was after her made my stomach drop. No clue why I felt this way. Most likely because I wanted to protect Isabella's mother from danger. If something bad happened to her and I would not be able to prevent it, how could I tell my daughter that I had failed?

"Keep that guy away from her." I growled in a low voice. That deep that it confused me for a moment. But then I thought about the new problem. A guy was interested in her. I did not want to imagine what this guy would do to her. It was not going to happen anyway. Not on my watch. No man was allowed to be near her. Never. Frowning, I turned my attention back to Romano.

"You do like her, don't you?" My employee made it sound like a conclusion although he raised his voice at the end of the sentence. One corner of his mouth went up slightly, but he quickly regained control.

"No, I do not like her. She is Isabella's mother and therefor I pay attention to her wellbeing." There was no other reason. I dismissed Romano to think about the information he gave me. She had tolerated him at her table. Maybe because of her shyness or due to her past. Out of fear for a dominant man. What else could be the reason? I needed to get more info about her. Otherwise, it would keep me up all night. Nice joke. As if my sleeping patterns had improved miraculously. They had been shitty for years now.

"Boss." Lucius interrupted my thoughts. He better had a serious reason for this. I glanced at him, but he did not budge. Ah well, he was another great member of this family.

"Are there any problems?" I leaned forward on my desk, waiting patiently.

"Sí. That Floyd guy is causing havoc again at the bar. Telling the barkeeper, that he will stop supplying us with liquor."

That idiot Floyd again. I sighed, then grabbed my phone.

"Let us go then. And call Romano," I instructed Lucius.

"He is already waiting outside. Thought you would like to handle the situation yourself and us accompanying you." Did I mention that he was one of my best men? Same as the other mad man who sat in the car with us a couple of minutes later.

"So, the boss wants you to keep an eye on our little darling's mother?" Lucius asked Romano.

"Sí, he likes her but refuses to acknowledge it," the chuckling idiot confirmed.

"Romano, if you want to keep your head above your shoulders you better shut up," I growled from the backseat causing both of the men in the front to giggle like little schoolgirls. Bastardi.

"Sono circondato da un branco di idioti!" I mumbled.

"Quoting Scar from the Lion King again, boss?" Both guys laughed harder.

"Well, since it is the truth. Watched the movie with Isabella yesterday. Just have not made up my mind which one of you is Shenzi and which one is Ed."

"Wait, according to you one of us is girlish and the other one is mentally challenged?" The cackling stopped, causing me to burst out in laughter. We weren't an ordinary mafia family for sure.