Chapter 37 ✔️

PoV Stella

A throbbing pain at my temple that radiated from there to my forehead, sinuses and jaw greeted me when I awoke again. Slowly I opened one eye, closed it immediately after, hissing. Too bright.

"Sleeping Beauty seems to be among us again. I was afraid you would not wake up." A rough male hand grabbed me painfully by the jaw, turning my face in different directions. "Well, you are not exactly a beauty. Don't see what the idiot sees in you." Slowly, I opened my eyes and looked into the angular face of a man in his mid-thirties or something like that, who regarded me deprecatingly. Piercing blue eyes, blond hair slicked back, a clean-shaven chin. The epitome of a slimy guy my father had always had to deal with. Was he behind my kidnapping? Had he found out that I, his only heiress, was still alive? Did I have to go back to him? To a life of captivity where my every action was dictated? A cold shiver ran down my spine.

"But don't, little one. Who is about to tremble with fear?" The man bared pearly white teeth, reinforcing my fears. Normal gangsters did not bother with their appearances. I tried to move away from him, which was not easy when you were sitting in a car. I bumped into the guy to my right. His arm wrapped around my waist like a boa constrictor. Panic-stricken, I clawed at his hands, trying to break free from his grasp. The memory of the rape many years ago took my breath away. Several tears rolled down my cheeks.

"This heap of misery is supposed to become the wife of a mafia boss?" The brown-haired guy sitting across from me twirled a flashlight between his fingers.

"Maybe you just woke her up too rudely, too. Or are you into someone shining a flashlight in your face?" grumbled the one who continued to hold me. His grip tightened even more. A soft whimper escaped my lips.

"I think it is more likely you are scaring her. Let her go again. Besides, I was supposed to see how her pupils reacted to the light. Could not know she would wake up just then," the brown-haired man defended himself. Of the three men, he scared me the least.

"Let's get back to the subject at hand," growled the slick blond I thought was the leader. "Why are you little innocent kitten marrying an Italian don? Are you with him by choice?" He moved closer to me again, but this time I could not avoid him. His breath smelled surprisingly pleasantly of peppermint. Still, I simply wanted to get as far away from him as possible.

"Hardly, with that fear-filled look," the one across from me cut in again.

"I would like to hear her say that myself, Jack." An unspoken threat sounded in the boss's cutting voice and the brown-haired man leaned back, looking at me almost pityingly.

"Alright girl, answer my questions. Or do I have to pull different strings with you?" His fingers stroked the pistol on his lap. I whimpered again. These guys were not sent by my father. They were more likely Riccardo's enemies. I was as good as dead if he would not find me in time.

"It is okay, kitten. Answer the boss." The man behind me stroked my hair, his breath flitting across the back of my neck. I gasped for air, wriggling harder to free myself from his grip.

"Kyle, let her go already." Jack grabbed my head, bringing his forehead to mine. "Breathe, kitten. Calm down and nothing will happen to you." His brown eyes hypnotized me. As soon as Kyle let go of me, my respiration abruptly stabilized. Jack reminded me a little of Romano and had the same calming influence on me.

"You are doing well, kitten," he praised me in a gentle voice. "Why does Riccardo want to marry you? He is forcing you, isn't he?" The words reverberated in my head, where the fog of fear was slowly settling. Coercion. Of course. I might be able to use that. Mentally I thanked my stepmother and her torments, they had helped me to a certain acting talent to get out of unpleasant situations. If I now acted like a helpless girl towards these men, they might just kill me instead of torturing me first. I took a deep breath, telling myself that at least Isabella was safe with Riccardo.