Chapter 13 ✔️

PoV Stella

With screeching tires, Adrian stopped the car in front of his and Josh's apartment. He led us to the door and when Isabella and I rushed in, he looked over his shoulder to make sure that nobody was watching us. Then he shut it with a sigh.

"First part of the mission accomplished." The brown-haired getaway driver dropped on the sofa. "So, what is your plan now?"

"No idea actually. I did not expect it to happen this fast." I could not keep my eyes off my little girl. She looked healthy and happy. The mafioso did not hurt her. But why should he? He called her his daughter at the shop. That meant he genuinely cared for her, didn't he? She had most likely been safer with him than in a children's home while I had been in hospital. A heavy lump formed in my belly when realization hit me. He would come after us and would not rest until he found Isabella. With a mafia boss chasing us, running away would be harder than ever.

"Let us talk in the kitchen." I put the television on and chose a children's show for my daughter. Then I walked together with Adrian to the kitchen. I did not want to discuss everything in front of her. She most likely adored the mobster already after such a long time under his care. And I was not the one to destroy this image of a father figure. Fuck, he had been the first guy who had been like a loving dad to her.

"We have to leave town as fast as possible. Preferably by car, since I think that guy will have his men watch the airport and train stations." Adrian looked at me, pondered over my words and a frown appeared on his face.

"Why can't you stay with us? Josh and I would love that. You and Isabella are family." He pleaded with his puppy eyes. "Don't you remember the fun we had together? How all three of us cared for the little one after she was born?"

"Of course, I do recall that. I would not have made it without you guys." My eyes were filling up with tears fast now. "But you two remind me a lot of my past as well, since both of you helped me escape from that shithole which should have been a loving home." I turned away from him. A moment later his arms snaked around my middle, and he pulled me into his strong chest.

"For that reason, you will always see us as part of your escape, not as part of your life in peace. Am I right?" he almost whispered the last few words, his voice trembling. I did not answer his question. How could I? He knew he was right. Tears ran down my face.

"What if we sell everything and follow you?" He kissed me gently on my shoulder, while still holding me tight. I thought about it for a moment. Sure, it would be great to have both men around me. But what if they got hurt?

"No. He will find us." I swallowed hard. "And it is all my fault." My voice broke off.

"Don't worry, sweetie. You will stay here for a couple of days, then we will get you out of town. Get yourself comfortable while Josh and I are at work."

"You rang?" Josh imitated Lurch from the Addams Family perfectly, while he walked into the kitchen, making me burst into laughter. Tears were still running down me cheek. The blonde joined us and hugged me from the front, while Adrian was behind me.

"Are we a human Oreo or what?" I asked as I tried to breathe.

"We can be an Oreo in bed too, if you want," said the brown-haired guy behind me.

"Eww, no thanks. Don't need to take part in your bed activities," I coughed. Josh burst into laughter and both men let me finally go. I turned around and saw that Adrian's face had mutated into a tomato.

"You know I did not mean it like that," he stammered. He was adorable when he was embarrassed. I hugged him and buried my face in the crook of his neck. Right away we were an Oreo again, since Josh took the opportunity to hug both of us together. For a while we stood there, our breathing synchronized. Warmth flooded through my body. I felt safe, treasured. Something my life usually lacked. Sure, my daughter loved me, and I loved her more than anything or anyone else. But you could not compare the unconditional love of a child with the love of a grown-up.

The next days were boring. Sure, I cleaned the house, cooked, and baked a lot. But that was not a task to keep me busy all day. The boys did not have many interesting books, and we solely bought a plush toy and one doll for my girl, since we could not carry a lot with us when we would leave the town. Well, what else was there to do? Right. Isabella and I watched a lot of television. Luckily for us, the boys loved Disney as much as we did. We just finished our second The Descendants marathon on Disney channel, when Adrian and Josh came back from work.

"We bought everything you two will need for a couple of days. And you might want to use this instead of your own." Josh handed me a credit card. We feared that the mafia would keep an eye on my bank account. A brand-new credit card to accompany my brand-new passport with my brand-new identity. I hated to get rid of this one, since it reminded me of my real mother. But did I have a choice? Not really, if I did not want to be found by Mister Mafia and his friends.

"Oh come on guys, I will never be able to pay you everything back." My eyes filled once again with tears. I tried my best to ignore it and the fact, that a big fat nasty lump appeared in my throat.

"You deserve so much more sweetie." Adrian smiled. A second later the three of us formed a human Oreo again. But as much as I enjoyed it, we had to leave. Until now, the gangster had not tracked us down. What if they found out what I had done before I rescued my daughter? Then the boys were in big trouble as well.

"It is time for Bella and me to leave you guys." I swallowed the lump. No matter what, I had to remain calm. Never ever would I be weak again. I promised this myself a long time ago. And I would rather break my neck than this promise.

"We will drive you out of town tomorrow. I booked you a nice hotel room for one night, you can move on from there." Josh kissed away my tears. "And then you will let us know where your new home is so we can sell everything and relocate there too."

I sighed. This was too dangerous, and the blonde should know it. And I would remind him of this fact right now. Well, if he would take his hand away, which covered my mouth.

"No, I do not want to hear it. We will move and meet again. We are the only family you two got."

"And we want to see our niece grow up." Adrian commented as well.

Yeah, right. Family. We were not family of each other. At least not by blood. Still, both boys loved me more than my very own family. But wasn't it the same for this mafioso and Isabella? Was it right, that I took her away from him? Perhaps he was just lonely and wanted to care for someone. Ah shit, I certainly had to get away from here. But her asking for him every day I put her into bed was taking its toll. She sincerely loved him and accepted him as her father. And I was going to take that away from her. Was I doing the right thing? Guilt washed over me like a tsunami, pushing me under the surface.

***********************************************************************************************

Stella questioning herself. Did you expect that? What will happen next?