Chapter 45 ✔️

PoV Stella

Satisfaction coursed through my body as Floyd left the office with his tail between his legs. My back straightened a bit more and I stuck my chin out further. Damn, it felt good to finally give this creep a piece of my mind. Oh, how I had hated it in those days when he showed up at my parents' house. The beautiful eyes he had made at my stepmother. Something my father never noticed. Or refused to see, like my father-in-law.

I finally had the chance to make Floyd bleed for his disgusting behavior. The fact that he fucked my stepmom interested me peculiar little. If I wanted, I could send them both to their doom. Smiling, I looked at the papers scattered on the tabletop that enabled me to have the bastard do my bidding. Who would have thought I would ever blackmail anyone? My mother was turning in her grave for sure. But what other options did I have in the cruel world of the mafia?

Loud approaching footsteps in the hallway outside the office demanded my attention. My two bodyguards draw the weapons from their holsters and I, too, grabbed the pistol that lay in the drawer for emergencies. The intruder yanked open the door and froze as he looked into the muzzles of three firearms.

"Boss, you'd better enter more quietly in the future for your own safety." Pale as a sheet, Romano put his pistol away and left the room together with Lucius. They dragged my father-in-law behind them despite his loud protests. I would have laughed at that strange moment, how the former don was kicked out of the office by two of the family's bodyguards. But the sight of Riccardo unsettled me. Was he angry because I continued to run the business for him? Or because I had not visited him once since he had awakened from his coma? It had been a safety measure so that he would not overexert himself. If he had known that I was dealing with the legal part of the family businesses, he would not have stayed in bed. We had to keep him in the dark. Everything was alright. Right?

I stood up and circled the desk. Riccardo's gaze fixed on me burned like fire on my soul. I averted my eyes and nibbled on my lower lip. Heat and icy cold shot alternately through my veins. Why didn't he say anything?

Wordlessly, he stepped toward me and gently pulled me to his chest. His lips found their way onto mine. Damn! How I had missed this feeling. I pressed myself against him and deepened the kiss. Our lips moved in sync. Little jolts of electricity twitched to my lower region. Fuck! Pregnant and horny. Was this normal? Should I care? Neither of us wanted to separate from the other until we were both gasping for breath.

"You can't imagine how happy I am that you did not run off with Isabella," he whispered into my ear. I looked him in the eyes. They were filling up fast. So many emotions. I swallowed.

"I could not take my son's father away from him after all." He blinked rapidly a few times as if he could not believe my words. "Don't look at me like that. It's really your child. No one dared to touch me."

His facial expression changed from disbelief to more intense emotion. I squirmed under his gaze, which threatened to consume me like fire would the flower. Although we had been separated for such a long time, his passion blazed more than ever, almost burning me. It awakened in me the desire to flee, but before I got the chance to break away from him, he lifted me up. Riccardo rushed through the casino with me in his arms and stormed toward the exit. Where did he get the energy from after being in a coma for weeks? Was it the information that he became the father of a boy?

He put me in the back seat of his car and got in as well. The boys jumped into the front seats. During the drive home, Riccardo stroked my belly incessantly. Again, I slid restlessly back and forth in my seat until Riccardo grabbed my hand and placed it on my bulging belly. Inside it tingled as if a butterfly was beating its wings gently against the wall of my stomach. Child's movements. Not yet perceptible from the outside. My previously hunched shoulders slowly slid into a neutral, relaxed posture and I took a deep breath.