Pleasant Surprises (An Alex Gaskarth OneShot)

I was staring at the sidewalk outside of the venue where cacophonous cheers from overly excited, hormonal teenage girls screamed their hearts out for the friends I held dear to my heart.  The sounds of the beginning pieces of their song began to play in the background, the low hum of a light post next to me drowning out little of the rage going on inside.  I wanted to be alone for a little while, cool off after the spat Alex and I had just had.  It pissed me off that he could be so flippant about the throng of women that surrounded him on a constant basis.

    Sure I was wrong for thinking that All Time Low’s lead singer would throw off the cape of girls for me because he never had that on his mind in the first place…but I was out here to keep myself from beating the shit out of the girl who had brought a sign asking him to marry her.

    A light scoff echoed from my lips as I rolled my eyes.

    I was jealous but so what?  I could be if I wanted to dammit and no one was going to tell me otherwise.  My fingers reached up to scratch the back of my head before I leaned back on the bench, stretching my back and neck with closed eyes. 

    The nagging feeling of guilt ate at my innards as I sat there.  I felt stupid for yelling at him and I knew it.  There was no way he was choosing some teenage girl over me…he loved me.  I was stupid to think otherwise.  Still when you watch your favorite person in the world get groped by eleven year olds who think they’re old enough to have sex, you just want to cut a bitch.

    I rolled my eyes at the phrase and thought back to when Alex had introduced me to that saying.  A smile stretched my lips wide, true personality slipping through the edges of my anger.

    The local park was a nice place to sit and contemplate my next set of lyrics today.  The mood was right, the breeze a gentle and cool addition to my mien while the rustling of trees added backup music to the harmony of my guitar.  I strummed the strings with nimble fingers, lips parting while lyrics just began to make themselves up and my voice carried through the air.  I paused, turning to my notebook to write down what I’d just said before I forgot it.

    I smiled and turned back to my melodious friend, fingers picking at the strings once more.  But I paused as a young man came into view.

    He looked distressed, but in an almost comical way.

    He kicked at leaves that had begun to pile by the bases of the trees as fall began to touch the world tenderly.  His face was screwed into angst, fists pumping the air at an invisible target while sinuous muscles contracted and released.  Somehow the motion captivated me.  Maybe it was the way he was sort of…well sort of drop dead gorgeous.

    The way his black t-shirt hugged his subtle yet brawny frame made me bite my lip.  Even in his current mental state I studied him from afar, noting the way his light brown hair was styled in his face yet there were strands that stuck up in every which way.  There were white teeth behind curled lips, though they were in a grimace and not a smile.  It was a shame to see so much fury in that face because I was sure it would light up in just the right way when he was happy. 

    Suddenly he turned as though he could hear my thoughts or something and I felt a light blush flit over my cheeks.  He raised a brow.

    When he started to walk over, I busied myself with playing my guitar, continued singing and writing lyrics.  I needed to get this next set done so that I could add it to my collection.  Someday I was going to be a singer songwriter and if I had enough stuff to show, maybe I could break into the industry more easily.

    “You have a pretty voice.”

    I glanced up with sudden shock to meet a pair of chocolate brown eyes that were quizzically staring down at me.  I raised a brow, unable to stop my dry, sarcastic reply.

    “I’m glad you were listening while you were punching air over there,” I said, nearly wincing as I said so.  I offered a smile and he shrugged, grinning while he sat down next to me.  I scooted over a little, feeling a bit awkward at his closeness.

    “You saw that huh?” he asked.

    “I think the whole park took notice,” I replied with a small smirk.  He chuckled and rubbed the back of his head.  “What happened to you?”

    He rolled his eyes.

    “What hasn’t happened to me today is more of a question to ask,” he uttered.  I pursed my lips.

    “Alright then, what hasn’t happened to you?”

    The slight surprise at my words was not what I’d expected.  He had told me to ask that hadn’t he?  I was only obliging, though inside I was snickering and laughing at my own sarcasm.  Yeah laughing at my own jokes is the only way I know there is humor in them.

    “Nothing good so far,” he muttered, though there was a small, sad smile playing on the edges of his lips.  I touched his shoulder.

    “No worries, things always get better,” I said as I set my guitar across my lap.  A bitter chuckle escaped him.

    “Yeah you know what, you’re right,” he said, nodding to me and smirking mischievously, “Fuck that bitch and the guy she’s fucking!  In fact, the two of them can fuck each other for all I care!”

    My wide eyes must have alerted him to my shock.

    “Yeah my girl…excuse me EX-girlfriend,” he began, accentuating the ex part fitfully, “Left me because I didn’t have enough money for some rich guy a couple months ago.  Saw her driving in his fancy fucking car a few minutes ago.”  I raised a brow.

    “And that’s all your bad day consists of?” I asked.  He blanched softly.

    “Well yeah,” he replied.  I giggled gently.

    “You should be glad to be rid of that bitch, she was obviously not a good person,” I said matter-of-factly.  He raised a brow.

    “Just feel like I could cut a bitch after looking at her wi-”

    “Cut a bitch?” I asked, smirking and inwardly laughing hysterically at the comment.  He raised a brow.

    “You’ve never heard that phrase before?” he questioned.  I shook my head and he smiled.  He chuckled.  “So have you lived in a box your whole life?”

    “No just under a rock for a few years, you know, so I didn’t get caught up saying shit like ‘cut a bitch’,” I teased.  He laughed aloud, smiling genuinely at me while his eyes twinkled softly.  I chewed on the inside of my cheek, looking at my guitar a little self consciously.  It wasn’t normal for me to be shy…but I really liked this guy thus far.  He was…funny and cute, a perfect combo.

    “Well I’m Alex by the way,” he said, introducing himself formally and putting his hand out in front of me.  I smiled and took the hand, shaking it.

    “I’m Tori, it’s a pleasure to meet you Alex,” I replied.  He grinned.

    “Pleasure’s all mine,” he said, gritting his teeth slightly.  I furrowed my brows in response and he just chuckled.  “So uh…you know there’s this restaura-”

    “Are you asking me on a date?  After your dramatic display of angst only moments ago?”

    “We can go as friends if you like?” he offered.  I laughed aloud at the statement, an obvious cover up for what he was asking.  I mulled over the proposal for a second and then shrugged.

    “I don’t mind going on a date with you Alex, even if we just go as friends,” I teased, pushing on him flirtatiously with my shoulder.  He grinned.

    “It’s a date then.”

    A sigh escaped me.  It had been such a long time ago since we first started dating.  Four years of being together, of touring and enduring screaming children for all the trouble they caused.  Four years of kisses, love making, singing together on stage, playing guitar, jumping on couches and playing pranks on the band members.  Such a long time…

    And I knew I was silly for being jealous of kids.

    I stood, turning towards the backstage entrance to the venue with a small smile stretching over my lips.  I just needed the moment to cool off before I strangled someone in the crowd, but now that I was no longer vehement, I wanted to go back to Alex.  I could hear they were taking a break, but I knew I wouldn’t be in there before they went back up on stage.  So I concluded and sufficed with watching him from the side of the stage, setting my feet inside the doorway to the backstage area.  I smiled as I saw him, running back out on the huge platform with his guitar in hand.

    When he caught sight of me, he paused, winking at me and grinning like a fiend before dashing into the arena. 

    That was the point when I heard what he was saying to the crowd.

    “You know guys, there’s this girl that I’ve been in love with for a long time and I’ve had her out here on stage with me before, but what do you guys say to me inviting her out for this show huh?!” he called, the retort of the crowd deafening.  I rolled my eyes, expecting the invite.  I giggled and waited for my cue.  “Come on out Tori, they want to hear us sing together!”

    I walked out on the platform, taking in the thousands of pairs of eyes that now watched my stroll towards the man I loved most in this world.  He took me in his arms, kissing my lips heartily before turning to the microphone.

    “So what do you guys want to hear?!” he shouted exuberantly.  Thousands of girls and boys began to scream their favorite songs, creating a dissonance that was indistinguishable from gibberish.  I smiled, teeth bearing white against the pink flesh of my lips and eyes crinkling with the emotion.  Alex grasped my hand.  “How about Dear Maria Count Me In, there’s a story at the bottom of this bottle and I’m a pen.”  He sang the last bit and the crowd joined in to create a harmonious chorus of voices.  I grinned and stood next to him.

    We began to sing the familiar tune, the lyrics falling from our lips in accord with one another and weaving a melody that made my heart sing and caused me to jump up and down to the beat.  I was enjoying myself, smiling heartily when suddenly Alex changed the lyrics to the song.

    “Make it count when I’m the one who’s asking you out, cuz it feels like your stealing my heart singing next to me now.”  I looked to him, noting how the words flowed perfectly like he had been planning on this the whole time.  I raised a brow as the song stopped.  “So what do you say Tori?”

    His words echoed over the bustling throng of people and I was speechless.

    “Huh?” I asked.  He chuckled aloud and so did the horde of bodies below us.  He walked to me, placing his guitar behind his back and shuffling through his pocket as he strode towards me.

    “What do you say?” he repeated, kneeling and presenting me with a gray box.  I blanched.

    “Are you serious?” I questioned incredulously, blushing furiously as eye stared up with fervent ardor littering his gaze.

    “You’re my best friend Tori,” he whispered so that only I could hear, “And I love you.  So yes, I’m serious.”  I bit my lip, throwing myself into his arms with a loud squeal.  He stumbled back, falling flat on his backside with me in his arms.  I kissed his neck and nuzzled his chest.

    “Yes,” I murmured so that only he could hear.

***

    “Dude watch out!!  Here comes Bridezilla!” Jack called, rushing away from where I was moving towards.  I wasn’t even a mild bridezilla, he was just over reacting and teasing me for all it was worth.  I laughed.

    “Yeah, look out Jack, I might rip you in two and use your blood as punch for the wedding tomorrow,” I teased.  He stuck his tongue out.  “You’re lucky I vouched to be a bridesmaid for you dammit.”  I giggled.

    “But you look so pretty in your dress!” I replied.

    I don’t know how I managed it, but I had planned a wedding and managed to stay sane.  I even got Jack and Zack to wear dresses for the occasion since I only had one other bridesmaid.  My best friend would be the only girl in the court, but it was okay.  Anything to get the boys to embarrass themselves meant I was doing okay for the wedding plans.  My parents might not be happy about it, but I didn’t care.  It was going to be a blast.

    “Hey Tori!” called a familiar voice, “Come on, let’s go home already.”  I nodded, turning towards the pleasing sound to find my goofball of a fiancé walking towards me.  He suddenly scooped me up and before I could count, we were suddenly home.

    How he had driven that quickly was beyond me.

    “So you know tomorrow night…we’ll officially be Mr. and Mrs. Alex Gaskarth,” he said, kissing my cheek.  I nodded, overcome with emotion at the thought.  I was so excited, so ready for this.  After five years, four years of dating and a one year engagement, it was finally happening.

    “I know,” I murmured.  He smiled.

    “Don’t turn into crazy wife overnight,” he teased, the sound tender and loving despite the jesting in his words.  I grinned.

    “Get over it,” I replied, “I’m going to be the meanest, craziest wife the world has ever seen!”  He tackled me onto the couch in a fit of laughter.

    “And you know what,” he whispered.  I raised a brow.

    “What?”

    “I’ll still love you even if you are crazy,” he uttered.  I grinned, kissing the tip of his nose and wrapping my arms around his neck.

    “I love you Mr. Gaskarth.”  He smirked.

    “I love you…Mrs. Gaskarth.”