43. 𝓠𝓾𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓪­𝓽𝓻é

Start from the beginning

"Thank you.!" I mumble, swallowing in nervousness. My hands shook as I ate. It was topped with gold leaf, explaining the high price. Tucker didn't even talk as he devoured it. It tasted like ashes in my mouth.  

I gestured to the waiter to get our checks as Tucker spoke. "I was thinking of hitting the club after this. Or maybe tomorrow.." he added quickly. I gave him an incredulous look, only now noticing the barbell on his left eyebrow. He really had the audacity to arrange for our second date after pulling this shameless stunt.

I paid for my dinner, the expensive pastry in cash, and a tip for the waiter. Sliding it toward Tucker, I spoke in a honeyed voice to the waiter. "It's not my birthday." 

 I heard Tucker mumble fucking bitch, making it the best part of this date.

*****

Tasting the remnants of the pastry on my tongue I cross the road, walking to the opposite of the restaurant Charleston. I leaned down and knocked on the tinted window of a black car parked there. It slid down immediately. Soto was behind the wheel.

"Drop me home." I request. Soto grunted and leaned over to open the passenger side, mumbling something incorrigible making me chuckle. The car raked with smoke, I scanned around to find its source. When my gaze landed on a metal object glinting against the streetlights shining over it I quickly averted my gaze looking straight out of the windshield.

During my sleepless nights, I sometimes sat on the windowsill looking out at night. There was always a black car on the side of the road. I didn't pay any mind to it at first. Until I noticed it tailing us when I went out with Helen, David, and Justin last week. And remembering the incident weeks ago when I'd visited Helen. I began to look for a pattern.

The car parked at 7 every night and left a few minutes after I leave for school. I tried to make it out if someone was inside there and found it to be a giant figure every time. I had been mistaking it to be the car seat at first.

Soto drove without speaking another word. I had understood this much that whoever is inside will definitely be an ally. But I wasn't expecting Soto.

"Are you going to ask?" I say gulping in nervousness, my back tensed.

"I know he didn't touch you or said anything obscene?" he answered, making his gruff tone slightly gentle.

I incline my head accepting his answer. When I closed my eyes, I reminisced about Lorenzo's words regarding Soto. 'Soto here works at security, mostly keeping an eye on the things Gian treasures the most'. Tears rolled out my cheeks, I lean my head on the window clutching my handbag to stop any sound of my cry come out of my mouth.

When we reached my house, I stayed motionless in my seat for some time, but holding on to my tears and emotions is not my strongest suit.

'What the hell.' I unbuckled my seat and reached over to hug him. I knew he wouldn't push me back, but I hadn't expected his arms to wrap around me, patting my back in a fatherly manner.

"Look after him, Soto." I say hoarsely, feeling him nod. Pulling back, I wipe my tears and sniffle in an unwomanly manner.

"I'll get your breakfast in the morning." I announced.

"No." He denied sharply.

"Just agree with me or I will feign an injury and it will be on you." I say playfully and left after noticing a small twitch of his lips. He agreed.

*****

I wore an off-white mesh knit dress that reached my knee and a tanned long coat to protect myself from the cold and the harsh wind that has seemed to pick up since I set foot out of the cab and crossed the path from the main gate to the restaurant inside. Since the Raoule's didn't allow a taxi to go inside.