Haunted Memories - Chapter 6

Things came up, so everyone gets an early update~

Chapter Warnings: Domestic abuse, violence, blood (marrow), swearing

***

"This show's lame; I wanna watch something more exciting," Rurik groused from where he was hovering over the left side of the couch cushions watching a comedian on T.V. strut across a polished stage.

Lotus huffed from the right side while maintaining his lax grip on the television remote, "You've had all day to watch what you wanted while I was at work paying for this cable; it's my turn and I want to watch something relaxing."

"Aw, come onnnn," the ghost whined, side-eyeing the remote with a slow smile forming, "one little wrestling match won't hurt and you said you've seen this guy before..."

A little magic was all it took to slip the remote from their grip, the monster scowled at him as they eyed the device hovering next to him, "Give it back, Rurik. It's my business if I enjoy the guy's comedy enough to watch it a second time when it's my turn."

The reaper lunged forward, but the couch was quickly vacated as the ghost darted into the air and away from the Lotus's outstretched hands with the remote in tow. Dodging away again when the skeleton took to the air as well, a cheeky grin lit up Rurik's face at the game of aerial cat and mouse that had been initiated; something that was becoming a common occurrence in the apartment over the past month. 

As the game progressed, he kept the chase going more for the fun of it than any actual desire to change the channel. Lotus might gripe and huff over his antics, but Rurik had caught them fighting down a smile on more than one occasion, suggesting they enjoyed the banter as well. The monster had also stopped threatening to reap him after their early morning blowup two weeks ago. He had to admit the incident had unsettled him in a way he didn't think was still possible and he still wasn't sure why he felt compelled to do something to keep it from happening again.

Maybe he had just become accustomed to the reaper's presence without realizing it.

The pair spent the next couple of minutes darting around the room, with the spirit deftly weaving around the reaper's every attempt to relieve him of the remote, until a knock on the front door distracted him long enough for the monster to snatch it out of the air and end the game. Sore at the interruption, Rurik drifted back down to his spot on the couch and grumbled, "Who the hell would be knocking this late at night?"

"Maybe one of the neighbors coming to say hi again," Lotus shrugged, turning down the volume on the T.V. and landing to deposit the remote back onto the table, "If they have leftovers like the last one, I definitely won't complain. Even with two jobs, money's not exactly pouring in. I'll take any handouts that come my way." Rurik didn't comment, knowing how much the skeleton was stretching what they had. 

The cable and cell phone bills were the only luxury expenses, with the latter being more of a necessity for the Lotus's jobs. The little metal cash box had been upgraded to a mini-safe stored in the back of the bedroom closet once the savings started to grow, but everything outside the money budgeted for groceries, rent, and basic utilities was strictly off-limits as 'shit hits the fan' funds. Unless the expense was needed for survival, the monster often went without.

Leaning forward to see their visitor as the smaller reached for the handle, the door opened to a taller skeleton with their hands stuffed in their jacket pockets-

"Listen, don't move."

Lotus froze where he had been taking a step back, "R-!"

"Don't speak; and no using magic either."

Lotus's voice cut out with a strangled grunt as the newcomer slid one hand out of their pocket to push the door open wider; shutting the door behind them, they sauntered past with a devilish smirk. Glancing around in curiosity, the skeleton casually commented, "So this is where you've holed yourself up for the past month, huh? Wow... you chose an absolute dump."

"And who the hell are you?" Rurik bristled at the insult, only for the intruder to completely ignore him; it took him a moment to remember his roommate was an exception rather than the norm, having become so used to interacting with Lotus. Bypassing the rude monster wandering the living room as if they owned the place, he drifted over to where the smaller was still facing the closed door, "Hey, what-"

The ghost fell quiet at the noticeably vacant sockets staring forward as the corners pinched with signs of distress; quick, tremulous breaths and the soft rattle of bones hinted further at their inner turmoil despite their body never moving an inch.

Frowning at the open display of fear from the normally strong-willed monster, a feeling of apprehension bled into him and he opened his mouth to question the situation when the other skeleton suddenly barked, "Come here." Lotus shuddered in place, but turned around and made their way around the back of the couch toward the newcomer with heavy footsteps until they were standing before them. Another command was issued, "Look at me."

Lotus's empty sockets rose to meet the demand as the intruder leaned in close; the rattling grew louder as the monster towered over him, growling in a low and venomous tone, "You caused a mess of trouble for me, Lottie... I came back from a nice camping trip to find you and your stuff missing. I told you not to leave the house or talk to anyone while I was gone and you deliberately disobeyed me; do you even realize how you made me look in front of my friends by doing that? Do you realize how much of my time and energy I wasted tracking you down to this little shithole...?"

The monster lashed out, grabbing Lotus's lower jaw and using the vice grip to lift his body from the floor and ram his skull into the wall behind him; the smaller dangled in place, wincing as his attacker snarled, "A WHOLE MONTH! I'm not happy, and you know what happens when I'm not happy..." Dropping their complacent victim to sag against the wall, they trailed their fingers down the smaller's neck, "Now put your arms out and hold still; it's time for your punishm-"

Rurik didn't let the creep get farther than yanking off Lotus's scarf, sending them flying into the opposite wall and away from their frozen victim with the swipe of a hand as the crimson fabric fluttered to the floor. The lights and television began to flicker alongside his rage as small objects rose into the air to answer his desire of teaching the intruder a lesson.

"Stop it!" the taller roared, glaring daggers at the terrified monster still pressed against the wall with his arms held out in front of him, "Stop attacking me!" Rurik took sadistic pleasure in ignoring their demands, pelting them with books and other objects as they screamed, "Why aren't you obeying me, you worthless little shit?!"

Pushing off the wall, the intruder launched himself across the room toward Lotus with an expression that could only be described as 'feral'; Rurik's fury spiked as he forced the couch into their path, catching the attacker in the side and sending them sprawling to the floor. No longer willing to waste time with small blows, the ghost extended the reach of his influence into the kitchen and smiled as his intended summons rounded the corner.

"What the fu-!" the furious skeleton screeched as a butter knife lodged itself in their shoulder, sending a spray of marrow across the floor; the monster scrambled for the front door as more projectiles flew to join the first. Unfortunately, only one other utensil managed to lodge itself in their ribs while the rest planted in the wall and floorboards before they made it out the door. Rurik felt like the intruder got off light and he was tempted to continue the chase, but flying silverware would likely cause a stir with the neighbors and the message was sent nonetheless.

No one screwed around with anything or anyone in their apartment.

A thud and rattling brought him out of his thoughts. He spun around to find Lotus collapsed on the floor against the wall with their arms held out in front of them and their hood shadowing their face. He could just hear their erratic breathing over the violent clatter of bones as they sat there, slumped like a puppet with its string cut. 

"Shit...," Rurik hissed, absently waving a hand to shut the door so he could hover closer to the cowering skeleton.

***

Word Count: 1,464