On Edge - Chapter 1

Well, I'm sick again... judging by the symptoms, it's probably the flu... luckily, I already had the story written out, so I just needed to format it~

***

Palette stood under an oak tree kicking idly at a patch of grass. Earlier, after the last bell for school to let out rang, he'd gone to retrieve the books he needed from his locker. There was a note sticking out of the slots when he arrived. It had said to meet under the tree in the courtyard after school for something important.

The writing didn't look familiar... what's so important that someone needs to meet me under a tree? Hopefully, it would be quick, I still have to meet up with Goth so we can go home together.

"You're here!" a feminine voice yelled.

Palette turned to see a tawny-furred dog monster jogging up to him. She was wearing a green dress and a white sweater with a purse to match. Stopping a foot away, she smiled at him. He smiled back, "Hi... Bridgette?" 

That's her name, right? We... do we have a class together?

"Oh, you remembered. I'm flattered!" she beamed, her teeth just visible through the fur around her muzzle. 

"Right, so...," the skeleton looked to the clock set into the wall nearby. He needed to hurry up, "you had something important to say to me?"

"Well..."

Bridgette's... blushing?

"It's not really something I want to say as much as something I want to do...," she said, leaning forward.

"What do you-," Palette's eye lights shrunk, his words cut off by Bridgette's snout meeting his mouth. He stood there, frozen from shock. 

A kiss? What? Why? Does she like me? But I don't like her! How can I tell her without hurting her feelings?

A shuffling noise in the distance startled the dog monster, causing her and the skeleton to look toward the source. Starry eye lights met a single, almost non-existent white one. 

Goth stood at a corner of the school building, the look on his face probably matching Palette's own shocked expression as he stared at the pair under the tree. He absently grabbed his scarf, his sockets scrunching up as he turned and ran, disappearing from sight.

Palette immediately gave chase, belatedly realizing Bridgette was still back at the tree. He called haphazardly to her, "Uh... sorry, I have to go!"

Racing down the pathway, he ran through the double doors and searched through the school in hopes of tracking down his friend. Unable to locate Goth, he pulled out his phone and sent a message asking where he went. Five minutes passed without a reply, forcing the skeleton to give up his search. Heaving a sigh, he turned around and walked home alone.

---

Goth never replied to the text. He showed up to class just as the bell rang, sitting away from Palette.

Is Goth avoiding me? Why? Is it because of yesterday? I should talk to him.

He tried multiple times to attract the smaller's attention through the class period, to no avail, and eventually had to stop when the teacher caught him trying to throw notes at the hooded skeleton.

Palette wanted to snarl as the bell rang for class to let out and Goth shot out the door. He knew chasing him in the hallway rush would be useless since the hooded skeleton was so small and they had no other classes together today. 

I'll just have to track him down at lunch or after school. He won't avoid me forever... right?

The idea left a stinging sensation in his chest. He rubbed his sternum, willing the feeling away as he headed to his next class.

The day continued on with Palette struggling to focus on his classes. After what felt like an eternity, the bell for lunch break rang.

Finally, I can look for Goth.

Throwing his bag over his shoulder, he pushed his way through the halls, keeping his sockets peeled for a white hood or red scarf. 

He's not in the cafeteria... not in the class he has before lunch... not at his locker either...

Making his way out a pair of double doors leading to the outdoor walkway and the gym, a flutter of red caught his eye above him. Looking up, he spotted Goth leaning against a guard railing on the gym roof, his head pillowed on his arms as he stared off into space. 

How did he get up there, isn't the door locked?

Palette opened his mouth to call out to his friend, but hesitated. 

Will Goth try to run again if he sees me coming?

Opting to sneak up on him, the door to the gym's roof opening caught his, as well a Goth's attention. Palette watched as Bridgette and two male dog monsters walked toward the small skeleton as he turned toward the trio, "Wha-"

"What's the big idea, huh?" Bridgette glowered, poking a finger into Goth's chest. Goth backed up against the rail as she continued, "How dare you interrupt the special moment I was having with my Palette!"

Her Palette? Since when am I hers?

Goth seemed to bristle before settling once more, snidely remarking, "Please, there's no way he would enjoy some bitch like you slobbering all over him!"

"Hey!" the bigger of the two male dogs shouted, grabbing Goth by the scarf and shoving his spine farther into the pole, "Don't you dare talk to our sister like that, you little twink!" The bar creaked as it was pushed backward.

Palette inhaled sharply as he made a beeline for the gym door, to the stairwell, and up the stairs. More shouting at an increasing volume could be heard as the open doorway came into view.

"Goth!" He cried out, gaining everyone's attention as he burst through the doorway.

Goth tried to duck past the male dog that had been grabbing him. "Don't you walk away from me!" the monster snarled, yanking on his scarf and throwing him into the guardrail once more.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as the rail behind the skeleton groaned and broke loose... with Goth falling after it.

***

Now to go chug some tea, take a hot bath, and pretend my body isn't trying to kill itself.

Word Count: 997