Royal Pain - Chapter 2

Meant to upload this earlier... but I got distracted while drawing. Oh well, better late than never~

This chapter's where most of my research for this story comes into play (curse you, 18th-century fashion) I hope I described it well enough.

***

Goth's single eye light shined as the king led him and Palette through the castle. 

I know castles from stories make them out to be big, but this place is huge! And we're going to live here, starting today.

Well, I suppose Palette always lived here, he simply doesn't remember it. It has to be hard on him, being surrounded by all these familiar things and not being able to recognize any of it.

From the way Palette's eye lights sparkled, Goth could only assume he wasn't dwelling on it.

I suppose it's not in him to be sad about anything, at least not for long.

The king stopped in front of an ornate wooden door, "This, young Goth, is the servant's quarters, where you will sleep and spend your free time when you are not working."

King Ink had decided, shortly after adopting the smaller skeleton, that he would be hired as Palette's personal servant in return for room and board. Goth had readily agreed, not caring as long as he got to be around Palette.

The door led into a small hallway with three doors. The one on the right contained a room that reminded Goth of the old dormitories, minus the bunk beds. Instead, the beds were laid out in thin rows separated by small nightstands with a trunk at the foot of each bed.

As the king opened his mouth to speak, a small human girl with pale blonde curly hair and blue eyes came through the door on the left side of the hallway.

"Ah, Meryl, perfect timing," King Ink clapped his hands and startling the girl, "I was introducing our new servant, Goth, to the servant's quarters. He will be working here, starting today, as Palette's personal servant. Would you mind walking him through his daily tasks and showing him around once he gets changed?"

"Of course, Your Majesty! It would be my honor!" the girl curtsied, lifting her head and catching sight of Palette. She flashed a brilliant smile, "Prince Palette, I'm glad to see you've returned unharmed!"

"Oh, uh... thanks." The skeleton honestly didn't know how to react to the girl that seemed to know him. 

"He is probably tired, Meryl," The King stated, "I will take him to his chamber to get changed. Bring Goth there once you both are finished."

With that, Palette left with the king guiding him by the shoulder, waving excitedly to the smaller as the door shut on the two servants. Goth's eye light flicked around anxiously, "So... you're Meryl?"

The girl jumped at being addressed, "Oh, yes! I'm a servant studying as an apprentice healer, and... you're Goth?" The small skeleton nodded.

"Well... let's start by getting you changed out of those clothes," Meryl replied, leading him to the right side room once more. 

Looking at each trunk, she stopped at the third one from the left side of the door, "Ah, here's a vacant one. This will be your bed..." Opening the trunk, she held up a tan shirt with a brown and white livery laced frock coat and brown breeches that looked to taper off at the knees, "and this is what you'll be wearing when you're out and about doing your daily tasks." 

Goth could also make out some wool stockings and black buckled shoes as well as some spare clothes of a similar fashion at the bottom of the trunk. The outfits were in the same design as Meryl's own dress and stockings.

I have to admit it looks much fancier than what I imagined.

As the clothing was placed in Goth's hands, he looked around expectantly, "Um... is there somewhere I can change, or..." He trailed off, causing Meryl to blush, "Oh, I'm sorry, let me just..." Covering her face, she turned away, squeaking out, "Let me know when you've finished or if you need help."

Luckily, Goth was able to more or less navigate the outfit on his own. He had a bit of trouble with the stockings getting caught on his bones, but it was easily fixed. He was surprised it fit so well considering his small frame.

Once finished, Meryl eyed him, "Hmm... it'll need to be brought in a bit at the waist and sleeves. If you're going to be seen with Prince Palette, you'll need to maintain a proper image as his servant." Her blue eyes scrunched up at his red scarf, "You're going to wear that?"

Goth flushed, his eye light focusing on the ground as he mumbled, "It's the one thing I have left from my mother..."

I figured it wouldn't be a problem if I tucked the tail ends into the coat...

The girl sighed, "I suppose as long as King Ink or Prince Palette don't say anything, it'll be fine."

Leading the skeleton from the room, Meryl gave him a tour of the main hallway, leading to the dining room where they served meals, the sitting room where guests were entertained, the throne room where King Ink saw his subjects and hosted parties, and the corridors holding the guest chambers on one side and the royal chambers on the other.

"The door at the far end is King Ink's chamber. Only guards, specially selected servants, and the royal family are allowed in there," she informed Goth as they traveled the corridor.

She stopped in front of a closed door, bouncing on her heels, "And this is Prince Palette's chamber. It's actually my first time seeing his room since I'm usually not one of the servants assigned to its upkeep."

Rapping on the door, Meryl called out, "Your Majesty? I've arrived with Prince Palette's servant, may we come in?" A muffled affirmation was heard from the other side.

Pushing in the door, the pair were greeted by a room that Goth really shouldn't have been surprised with, given what he'd already seen. Even so, the room was probably big enough to fit the whole orphanage, containing its own sitting area and personal bathing room!

At the center of it were King Ink and Palette... dressed in a white high-collared suit coat patterned with light blue and gold embroidery and brown knee breeches. The ensemble was complemented by a white tricorn hat with gold trim, white silk stockings, and brown shoes.

"How do I look?" Palette asked anxiously, pulling at a button on the suit coat. 

He looks like... well, like royalty. Probably because he is. It definitely suits him.

"You look great! A real prince," Goth replied with a soft smile. His cheeks felt warm.

"Absolutely stunning!" Meryl squealed, her eyes sparkling. 

Wait... does she have a thing for Palette?

A small part of Goth's soul squirmed at the idea, but it was quickly shoved down. 

What am I thinking? Palette's my friend... and he's royalty, he's way out of my league...

"You look pretty good yourself! Definitely worked your scarf into the outfit, it's a nice splash of color," Palette added playfully, tapping the smaller monster on the back.

The king's coughing quickly brought everyone to attention, "If everything is in order, I have duties I must attend to. Meryl, for the first week you will be tasked with aiding Goth in learning the routine and basic etiquette alongside your own tasks."

"Yes, Your Majesty," the girl replied, curtsying as she pulled her new charge into a clumsy bow.

King Ink turned to his son, "For now, you may relax and tour the castle at your leisure, ask Meryl if you require a guide. Dinner will be in three hours, Meryl will escort you. Tomorrow morning at dawn, I will send her and Goth for you. After breakfast, we will begin your lessons. I have much to re-orient you in and teach you."

With that, the king left the room with three children staring at each other, not knowing how to break the silence.

"So," Palette coughed, gaining the other two's attention, "What's exciting in this place?"

***

Word Count: 1,326