Back to the Start - Chapter 2

"I don't think I can do this," Goth whined as Palette slowed down to pull into the driveway of their destination. The hooded monster had gone back to worrying his scarf as his companion navigated the long driveway stretching across the right side of the wooded property.

"I'm nervous too, but we'll get through it together," Palette assured him as they passed the treeline into a clearing containing the sloped front yard and the house itself.

The house had a pale blue exterior with white trim and gray roofing; looking to be two stories with a half-moon stained glass window over the front door. A stone walkway wrapped around the shrubbery lining the right side of the house and garage, leading up to a wooden front porch that extended along the left side of the house.

Overall, the scenery looked very picturesque.

"This is your family's house?" Palette confirmed as he pulled the parking brake and killed the engine, receiving a silent nod from his companion, "I like it; it looks really comfy. I can see the appeal."

"Mom and dad chose it because it was out of the way enough that we would have peace and quiet, but not so far out that driving was an ordeal," Goth explained softly, staring out the driver's side window at the house rather than making a move to leave the car.

Seeing he would need to give his boyfriend a nudge, Palette stepped out of the car and rounded the hood to open the passenger side door. Goth stared up at him with the most pitiful face, almost making the taller cave before he shook it off and steeled himself.

He crouched by his companion's side, placing a comforting hand on their leg as he said, "I know it's scary, but I also know you've been wanting this more than anything. We'll meet your family they'll ask how you've been, tell us how they've been, and we'll spend two days getting to know each other and reconnecting.

"And if anything bad happens or anyone gives you a hard time, say the word and we'll leave. I won't make you stay if you don't want to be here... okay?"

Taking a deep breath, Goth slowly unbuckled his seatbelt, "Alright, I trust you; I hope you know what you're getting into."

Palette took the hand that was offered to him, pulling his boyfriend from the seat and shutting the door behind them with an anxious smile, "I hope so too... but you said your mom already likes me, right?"

"He sounded like it," Goth confirmed as they went to collect their bags from the trunk.

Palette hefted his bag onto his shoulder, nodding his skull in self-assurance, "So I just have to act normal, answer some question, and everything will be okay; easy peasy."

Goth shut the trunk, picking up his duffel bag while huffing in amusement, "You make it sound so simple."

"Because it is that simple," Palette countered playfully, taking Goth's hand to lead him across the driveway, "There's-"

Two older-looking skeletons standing at the end of the walkway where it curves behind the shrubbery, staring at the pair.

One was about the same size as Goth, wearing a pale yellow sweater with a familiar red scarf draped around their neck and dark blue jeans; one hand pressed against their mouth as the other tucked into their chest. The socket that wasn't surrounded by glitches held a quivering white eye light. Behind them, a taller skeleton stood with a supportive hand on his companion's shoulder; wearing a black hoodie, pants, and an easygoing smile.

Palette suspected they were Geno and Reaper, Goth's parents; though he had only heard their voices over speakerphone a handful of times, so he couldn't be sure.

The hand grasping his own tightened, prompting a sideways glance. Goth stood frozen, staring back with indecision etched on his face. When no one made a move for several seconds, the expression on both parent's faces began to shift into worry. The smaller parent glanced up at the taller, muttering something the artist couldn't make out.

Sighing to himself, Palette reached around to pluck the duffel bag from his boyfriend's grip while leaning close to whisper, "I think they're waiting for you, Gothy."

The nickname had the desired effect, breaking the trance as Goth's skull whipped toward him. Palette merely smiled, nodding his head toward the waiting pair. The lavender dusting on his cheeks quickly faded as he turned back to stare at his parents with a shaky breath.

Letting go of his boyfriend's hand, Goth took a hesitant step forward... then another... and another until he was jogging toward the pair. The scarved parent detached from his husband, racing to meet their son on the walkway with his arms extended out and tears welling up in his good socket.

Goth leaped into the older skeleton's arms, wrapping his arms around their neck and burying his face in their scarf. The parent stumbled back from the force of the hug, but managed to remain standing as he wrapped his arms tightly around his son's back. He leaning his skull against theirs and rocked side to side, softly croaking through tears, "My boy, oh my baby boy. I thought I'd never get to see you again, but here you are."

"I'm so sorry," Goth sobbed as Reaper stepped forward to drape his arms around the pair, "I was a coward, I'm so sorry."

The crying parent shook his skull adamantly, confirming himself as Geno with his voice, "You are not a coward; you were frustrated and distraught. You needed space and neither of us ever held that against you. We wanted you to be happy; that's all we ever wanted."

"Glad to have ya back kiddo; we missed ya," the taller parent, Reaper, sighed. Goth broke into another round of tears at the confirmation, trembling as he curled into the parents he had missed for so many years.

***

Word Count: 996