Spice up Your Life (One-shot)

This is probably the closest I've ever come to lemon in a story. I'd say it probably ranks orange level on the Citrus Scale, nothing explicit happens but the insinuation is definitely there. Happy Valentines Day and enjoy~

Chapter Warnings: NSFW implications, swearing

***

Lotus stared blankly at the bouquet of red roses hovering inches away from his face, "What's this for?"

"My coworkers were going on about this thing called Valentines Day," Rurik replied as he handed off the flowers to his companion, "It's apparently a day where couples give each other stuff like flowers and candy. Everyone at work insisted I should get you something for it when they heard we didn't have anything planned."

Reaching into his pocket, the skeleton pulled out a small clear bag tied off with an equally small red ribbon containing tiny, heart-shaped red objects, "I also got you some candy. I know you prefer spicy stuff, but the only thing I could find was this cinnamon candy. They're shaped like hearts though, so I figured that would work."

The bag was placed in the smaller's palm, his sockets wide as he murmured, "... Valentines Day. Is it just about flowers and candy?"

"I don't think so," Rurik mused, "Everyone was discussing different ways they were planning on celebrating, even the ones I know are single had plans after work. I think it's more about doing nice shit for each other, so Happy Valentines Day."

"Thanks... but I don't have anything to give you," Lotus pointed out, looking at the gifts with uncertainty.

Rurik waved off the comment, "It was a spur of the moment decision, so I wasn't expecting anything back. Just point me toward dinner and we'll call it even."

"Alright, if you say so...," Lotus conceded with some reluctance, "though supper's not quite ready yet. Go ahead and grab a seat while I find something to put these in and finish up."

The hooded skeleton turned toward the kitchen with both presents in hand as Rurik followed, spying two pots cooking on the stove. Taking a seat at the table, he watched his companion store the bag of candy in the cupboard and place the flowers on the counter, digging around in one of the cabinets for a vase. He puffed up a bit with pride when he caught a glimpse of a smile on the smaller's face.

Once Lotus had the flowers unwrapped, cut, and settled in their new home, the skeleton rinsed the stray plant matter from his hands and returned to the stove.

Flipping the two active burners off, he brought one pot over to the sink and dumped the contents into a strainer. After divvying out the spaghetti onto two plates, he pulled the second pot off the stove and covered both dishes in a bright red sauce before bringing both plates to the table.

The taller felt like if he had a stomach, it would be rumbling from the smell coming off of the meal that was placed in front of him. "Smells good," Rurik commented as he grabbed his fork and twirled it around the first bite. He was so wrapped up in his food, it took him several minutes to notice the smaller's silence and pensive expression.

Letting his fork rest on his plate, Rurik waved a hand in front of the hooded skeleton's face, "Earth to Lotus, everything okay?"

The smaller started, blinking away the surprise on his face as a pale blush replaced it, "Oh, yeah! I was thinking about... something..."

Rurik smirked as he lifted his fork, "Are you planning on sharing?"

Lotus' blush deepened as he scowled, "It's personal." The taller laughed but didn't press further as they both resumed their meal.