06| Ambush

The next morning, I wake up before my alarm goes off. It's still pitch-black, so I close my eyes again and try to go back to sleep. After tossing and turning for a while, I sit up and grab my phone to check the time. It's only 4am. I groan and rub my eyes and then walk out of my bedroom.

Zach is still sound asleep on the sofa. As I walk past him, I stop and look at him for a short moment. Our kiss crosses my mind again and a smile flashes over my face.

With a sigh I walk over to the window and open it.

I sit down on the windowsill and soak in the cold air. Everything is quiet outside. It's 4am, of course it is.

I sit there for a while, swinging my legs, and think about the previous few days. The last week was crazy. I saved a shot person's life, hit someone with a baseball bat and escaped death myself as Terrence tried to shoot Zach and me. Measured against my usually so uneventful and unspectacular life, that's a lot of turmoil all at once.

I'm exhausted from all this stress. And then there's Zach whose mere presence is making me nervous.

A deep, husky voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Would you mind closing the window?" I flinch and turn around. Zach's lying on the couch, the cover almost pulled up to his nose. He's clearly freezing.

I quickly jump down from the windowsill and close the window.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up...," I whisper with an apologizing smile.

"What's the time?" Zach questions me with his sleepy voice.

"It's only 4.30am. Go back to sleep!" I reply softly.

"Why are you up already?" He sits up on his elbows and lifts his head.

I shrug my shoulders. "I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep."

"Do you mind making some coffee?" he asks and sits up.

"I could need one myself anyway," I state and walk over to the kitchen unit.

While pouring the coffee beans into the grinder, I feel Zach approaching me from behind.

He rests his chin on my shoulder, and I look aside to shoot him a shy smile. My heart skips a beat as he wraps his arms around me from behind, and I intuitively close my eyes, trying to keep my breathing calm. Zach's soft breath brushes my skin right behind my ear, giving me goosebumps all over my body.

I freeze as he starts placing gentle kisses on my neck and butterflies start dancing inside my stomach as his palms lightly stroke over my belly.

"Zach?" I whisper with a shaky voice.

"Mmh?" Zach stops, waiting for me to speak.

I turn around to face him and his hazel eyes meet mine. His glance wanders from my eyes down to my mouth and back up again. I unintentionally bite my lips, not sure what I wanted to say anymore.

Why am I always nervous when Zach's around?

I could just push him away, but somehow, I enjoy this closeness. It's like I could touch the crackling air between us.

Zach's piercing gaze makes me hold in my breath and I feel my face blushing once again.

This time it's me who closes the gap between us. Before I know it, I press my mouth against his. The sudden contact of our hot lips sends shivers down my spine and I'm sure Zach can hear my wildly thumping heart.

He instantly kisses me back, placing his palms on my cheeks while I rake my fingers through his tousled hair and softly play with it.

Zach's tongue cautiously asks for entry into my mouth and I open it, letting him deepen the kiss.