16| The Lion's den

Zach's POV

I adjust my black tie and happily eye my reflection in the filthy mirror of my bathroom. It's Sunday and I'm about to pick up Olivia. I told her to dress up nicely and so did I, I put on my best black suit. As much as I hate to expose her to the disgusting dickheads at the casino, I have to admit I'm also a bit excited to take her with me. The way she masterfully held my gaze yesterday and didn't blink once while bluffing was so attractive, and I can't wait to see more of that sexy poker face of hers.

My mind wanders to yesterday morning and I smile absentmindedly as I recall the moment Olivia decided to give herself to me for the first time. I don't think I will ever forget that feeling again. There is something about this woman which has drawn me under her spell from the moment I looked into her grey-blue eyes for the first time. I never experienced an attraction like this before. The way she looks right into my soul makes my heart racing over and over again.

What happened to the tough guy I used to be?

A few weeks ago, I didn't even know what it means to be in love and now I'm actually someone's boyfriend. A loud honk pulls me out of my thoughts and I quickly slip my wallet and phone into my pocket before leaving my hated house. The house of my stepfather, to be exact. I wonder what happens to it now that his only son is dead.

Jake's waiting in his black Mercedes C Class Coupe in front of my house. I asked him to join our casino night, as I remember he used to play in earlier days, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to thank him properly for helping me the night Terrence abducted Olivia. I think highly of him for lending me his holy car since I'm not sure If I would've been able to save her in time if he hadn't helped me out.

I open the car door and swiftly get into the passenger seat.

"Hey buddy, looking fly!" Jake greets me with a broad grin on his face. He hasn't changed a bit in the past years.

"Hey Jake, thanks for picking me up!" I reply and buckle up.

"Don't mention it. How's your girl doing?"

"She's doing fine. Since she got discharged from the hospital, her recovery went well. I guess being at her own home has helped a lot to ease her anxiety," I state, facing Jake, who shakes his head in amusement.

"Who would've thought that the tough and ice-cold bad boy would have a girlfriend one day?!" he mutters while starting the engine.

I chuckle deeply and roll my eyes at his bantering comment.

"You will like her! She's funny and smart," I say, trying to hide my excitement for this woman. Jake just shoots me a quick knowing smirk before drawing his attention back to the street. I give him the directions to Olivia's place and take my phone out of my pocket to let her know we're on our way.

* We'll pick you up in five minutes.*

A smile flashes over my face as I promptly receive a reply.

* Okay. Can't wait to see you!*

I put my phone away and face Jake who's casually driving his fancy car one-handed.

"Hey, Jake. Thanks once again for helping me out. I don't know how I should've managed to get her out of T's claws without you."

Jake smiles at me and shakes his head.

"You're welcome! I'm always happy to help, and to be honest I missed you, bro. I never understood why you turned your back on me," Jake retorts.

"The close contact with all those shady pricks at the casino changed me and for a while I turned into one myself and thought I wouldn't need such thing as a friend. When I finally regained my sanity, I hadn't got the balls to contact you again. I should have though...," I explain and bashfully scratch my neck.