10| Death

Zach's POV

As fast as possible I carry Olivia over to the car, her head resting on my shoulder, and I carefully lay her down on the backseat. I eye her usually so even and cheerful face. Now it's full of bruises and cuts and her whole body is covered in her own and T's blood.

She's still unconscious and doesn't move a bit. I quickly check her pulse and breathing, just in case. Her breathing is rapid and shallow.

I need to get her to the hospital!

I quickly get in the driver's seat and step on the gas immediately.

"FUCK!" I scream and strike against the steering wheel.

I fucked it all up. Again! If I would have picked her up from work today, Terrence wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to abduct her.

And he wouldn't have laid his dirty hands upon Olivia's precious body. I feel like throwing up when I think of all the things, T might have done to her.

This is all my fault!

I'm just glad I was smart enough to not drive to that place Terrence told me. I was close to, really! I nearly lost my mind when I heard T talking about Olivia and what he would do to her if I wouldn't play by his rules, but then I pulled myself together and tried to put myself in T's head.

That's when an old friend came into my mind, Jake.

I used to hang out with him all the time when I was about fifteen and we were very close for a long time. He's pretty good at hacking and gladly he agreed to help me finding out Terrence's current location. Of course, T didn't think through his plan properly and the next time he called me, Jake could easily make out his location.

He lent me his car and I sped right to the place he told me. At that point I was really thankful for having my gun with me.

Silent whining from the backseat pulls me out of my thoughts and I look into the rear-view mirror. Olivia's holding her stomach, her eyes still closed, and her pale face is full of pain.

"Hold on, Olivia. We're almost there! Everything will be fine, I promise!" I feel tears running down my cheeks and frown.

Since my mom died, I never allowed myself to cry again, not even when my stepdad got shot, but right now I can't fight it. The fear of loosing Olivia, the first woman in my life after my mother who gave me the feeling of being trustworthy and valuable, is too overwhelming.

I blink trying to clear my vision which is blurred from all the tears.

A few minutes later, I stop in front of the hospital, and I carefully get Olivia out of the car and carry her inside.

"I need some help here!" I shout desperately.

A nurse approaches us and notices Olivia with all the blood on her body and the bruises T gave her. She immediately calls for a gurney and I carefully lay her down on it.

"Are you her husband or a relative?" the nurse asks me.

I shake my head without taking my eyes from Olivia. My trembling hand is holding her limp, cold one, stroking her gently with my thumb.

"Alright, then please take a seat and wait. We'll take it from here. I will inform you as soon as we know more!" the nurse tells me with a serious voice.

I nod and she must notice my anxious expression since she adds with an encouraging smile, "Don't worry, she's in good hands."

I manage to smile back weakly and watch them as they bring Olivia away. Then I sink down on one of the seats in the waiting area, burying my face in my hands, and let out a deep sigh.