17| Unlucky at cards, lucky in love

Zach's POV

My eyes widen in horror as I hear Olivia's resolute voice. I can't believe she just bet all her won money against Caleb. I know this guy and how he's playing.

"Well, you're a very brave girl!" Caleb scoffs with a smug grin on his face. I give him a warning look, but he just laughs triumphantly.

I can't bear to watch as the dealer places the last card on the table, and Olivia, Caleb, and William, the third player, lay down their hands.

Caleb grunts angrily and also from William's side a little snort can be heard.

I look at Olivia, who disbelievingly eyes the cards on the table, so I risk a glimpse and instantly smile widely.

"Zach, I won," she stutters and turns to face me.

"You did, baby," I retort and squeeze her little hand.

Caleb stands up and walks to our side of the table.

"I may have underestimated your woman, shorty," he states and then turns towards Olivia. "Four of a kind in aces. I hate to admit, but well played, young lady! I was sure I would win with the full house I got. Maybe you give me a chance to get even next time!"

Olivia eyes him skeptically.

"We'll see," she simply replies, and Caleb leaves the room with a smirk on his face.

What happened to him? He acts like a different person.

The Caleb I know would be fuming after losing nine thousand dollars.

"Wow, Olivia! That was some brilliant game!" That's Jake's impressed voice. He leans back in his chair, shakes his head, and takes a sip of his whiskey.

"I can only agree with that!" I say while eying all the chips lying in front of my beautiful girlfriend. She managed to go from the three thousand dollars she started with to over twenty thousand dollars. Just the happiness on her face makes up for my losing, and the way she played out all these experienced poker players fills me up with pride. That's my girlfriend!

"I'm leaving with a plus of twenty thousand dollars, guys!" Olivia breathes with wide eyes as all the money is handed to her, and Jake and I give her a broad grin. We're leaving the casino hand in hand and get into Jake's car.

"Did you have fun?" I ask Olivia and place my hand on her thigh as Jake starts the engine.

"Mmh, I enjoyed the game, but you lost all your money," she retorts and rests her head on my shoulder.

"That's poker, Olivia. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Today you won and that's worth celebrating!" I tenderly kiss her temple and soak in her smell.

Olivia raises her head and faces me with a sweet smile.

"Celebrating?" she asks, and I nod smirking.

"I will show you how great poker winners are treated," I whisper into her ear.

A grunt is heard from the front of the car.

"Guys, you know I'm still here, right?" Jake shoots us an annoyed glance through the rear-view mirror, but I spot a light smirk on his lips.

"Sorry, Jake!" Olivia shyly smiles at me with rosy cheeks. I move my hand a little higher up her thigh, causing Liv to squeeze her legs together and she looks at me with dark eyes. I can sense a light anticipation in her glare.

"Wanna join us for a drink, Jake?" Olivia asks as we stop in front of her house.

"I'd love to, Olivia, but I have to get up early and it's nearly midnight already. Next time!" Jake answers.