38| Meet the Brooks

🚨Warning! Sexual abuse will be thematized in this chapter.

"This is it," I say as we get out of the Uber in front of my family's house.

"It looks nice," Zach states and looks around.

It really is a beautiful neighborhood here with mainly colorful terrace houses and a lot of grassed areas. Only with Logan being a psychologist, they were able to afford this light blue gem of a townhouse with white windows and a white wooden terrace. It was a big dream coming true for my mom, as she always wished for a house like this.

"Come on, let's go!" I grab Zach's hand and pull him towards the building.

When I ring the doorbell, I catch Zach taking a deep breath.

"Relax, babe. I'm sure they'll love you!" I wrap my arms around his waist and squeeze him soothingly.

Zach gives me a thankful smile and places a soft kiss on my temple. Right in that moment, the door opens, and my mom appears in the door frame.

"Livie baby. Come here!" She grabs my hand and pulls me into a long and tight embrace.

"Mom! I missed you too, but please let me go," I pant breathlessly after a minute of getting squashed by her. My mom pulls away and smiles at me with bleary eyes. Her caramel brown hair is messily tied back into a low bun and quite a few lose curls frame her friendly face.

"You're glowing, darling," she states, patting my cheeks, and then turns towards Zach. "You seem to make her happy, young man."

She holds out her hand for him, "Hi, I'm Callie. It's nice to finally meet you."

Zach gives my mom a charming smile and shakes her hand, "Zach, hi. Nice to meet you too! Now I know where Olivia got her bright eyes from!"

My mom eyes him from head to toe and then gives me an appreciative nod.

"Damn, he's charming and much prettier than you described him, honey!" she whispers into my direction, causing me to blush.

"Mom!!! He can hear you!" I roll my eyes but can't help giggling at her statement.

Zach is also chuckling next to me and gives me a teasing wink.

"Come in, you two!" my mom orders and steps aside, letting Zach and me pass.

We enter the narrow hallway and slip off our shoes. I breathe in the familiar scent of home and close my eyes for a second. Even though, this was never my real home the smell here is exactly the same as in our old house back in Calgary. The house where I grew up.

"Well, well! The little one arrived! Come here," Logan, my stepdad, comes up to me with open arms.

"Hi, Logan! So good to see you," I retort and hug him tightly for a moment. When we break away, he faces Zach with a critical look. For a second, I'm worried he will make any sharp comment, but then his face turns into a masculine grin and he holds out his hand. "Zach, I suppose?"

Zach grabs his hand and looks a little surprised when Logan pulls him closer and pats his shoulder.

"Uh...yea. Hi. Nice to meet you," he mumbles with an awkward smile.

I supportively wrap my arm around his waist and smirk up to him. "Come on. I want you to meet my brother. Is he upstairs?" I ask directed to my mom who nods and smiles at Zach and me with a transfigured look.

"I'm so happy she finally found herself a man. It's about time!" she whispers in Logan's ear, but Zach and I can hear every single word. I roll my eyes. That's so typical mom!