Chapter-three

I was in a bank six years ago trying to create a student account since I was newly admitted. I still remember the horrible feeling of realizing that it wasn't a joke, movie scene, or my imagination. It was real, all if it was real and it was actually happening.

Five men with guns inside hollered, "don't move or we will blow your mother-fucking brains off!" I remembered feeling panicked, helpless and tensed. I have never felt so helpless like that in my entire life. It felt like time stopped while everything was going on, my hearts hammered furiously in my ribcage as it looked for where to run for safety and dump my body. I felt totally terrified and helpless.

Sitting with my boyfriend beside me in a family dinner with mom and my brother awoke that buried feelings. It brought back the petrified feelings in an intensive wave. My boyfriend tangled his hands with mine under the table and I rubbed his palms soothingly and reassuringly.

My brother sat still facing the Samsung television with rapt attention like he was checking his Joint admission and matriculation board result. Mom's laser eyes burrowed into our forehead as she scrutinized us, probably thinking of where to start from. I cleared my throat repeatedly, trying to swallow the huge lump of fried rice that got stuck in my throat while waiting for someone to break the yolk of silence.

"Tife!!!" Mom called thrice, narrowing her eyes to silts. "How many times did I call you?" She cocked a brow.

"I don't know, I lost count, ma'am," I replied furrowing my brows.

She chuckled, clapped her hands and hissed. "I knew you will lose count afterall you have never been good in maths." She clicked her tongue while I fumed.

My brother slapped the back of his neck and bit his lips while I hissed.

"One more stupid act from you, Fridaous, and I will help you slap that neck properly." Mom threatened glaring at my brother who cowered in fright.

"Now back to you both," she nudged her head in my direction. "When do you both plan on settling down and giving me grandbabies, are you waiting for me to die first?" Her eyes shifted between us.

"We are working on it." We both chorused and stole a glance at each other sharing a sheepish smile.

A small laugh escaped her lips. "Hmm! Ekare laye, construction workers." She snorted emphasizing on the workers.

"Mom?" I began, scratching my hair.

"Don't you dare mommy me before I smack you across the face." She threatened raising her palm at me. "Oni yeye oshi." She hissed.

"Animus nocendi." Fridaous blurted out, still watching television. He loves speaking in law terminologies and believes he is preparing for the future.

"And as for you, Mr lover boy." She faced my fidgetting boyfriend. "If you dare lose her, you will never find another like her, did you hear me?" She yelled glaring at him.

"Ye-- yes ma." He barked with a small salutation.

"Better!" She adjusted her African head-tie popularly known as gele. "Oniranu meji." She snorted and continued eating.

"And that is the end of casus belli." Fridaous chuckled and scooped another spoonful of rice in his mouth.

"Compliments to the cook, it tastes really good." My boyfriend said with a forced smile, trying to be polite.

"Michael, abi what are they calling you sef?" Mom stared at him from his foot to his head.

"It is Marvis popularly known as Mavo." He wiggled his brows and winked at mom.