Chapter fifteen

Mondays in Nigeria is one of the most hated days of the week. Most people don't even smile on Mondays knowing they have to resume another stress-filled week while struggling to beat Monday morning traffic after having a relaxed filled and cosy weekend with the family. The idea of abandoning it for work can be quite frustrating. Most kids even come up with a fake illness just to avoid school.

Every other person out there is either heading to work or school but the reverse is the case here, I am here in the living room trapped with Alex who was clad in a pair of joggers.

"What do we do today now that the business deal is off?" I munched on my toast bread and took a sip from my hot chocolate.

"What do you think?" Alex walked towards the dining table to have his share of his breakfast.

"I don't know, you are the boss," I shrugged and stared at the crazy statics of people that have lost their lives to covid-19 in the television.

"And you are the assistant to the boss, so c'mon." He winked at me. "Spill."

"Well, I feel like since we don't have anything to do and we are in a new city, we should do what any other person on vacation usually do."

"Nice, where do you have in mind?" His brown eyes pierced my soul. I could get lost in his eyes.

"About that, I will leave that for you to answer." I stirred my tea and took another sip.

"Okay, there is this new club a friend of mine just started and he has been inviting me for long." He rested his jaw on his hand.

"And?"

"And, I feel we should check the place out tonight."

"Do you really think there is coronavirus in this country?" I nudged my head at him.

"I don't think so, as a matter of fact, the government are only using it as an excuse to embezzle money." His voice trailed off as he stared at the television.

"So are you saying there is no covid-19 in the country?" I tilted my head to a side.

"I never said there is no virus, I only said it is not as serious as they making it seem. They  collected money from the united nations and squandered it on themselves and their family." He paused to take a bite of his toast, making a crunchy noise.

"What annoys me the most is the fact that they just accumulated the death rate with people that had no trace of the virus in their system before dying. It is sad, to be honest." I gave an exacerbated sigh.

"Just stop stressing yourself about this country, she is not worth dying for." Alex touched my palm and urged me to eat on.

The dining table is exquisite. The walls are covered with a shimmering gold paper and in the middle of the ceiling above, the centre of the table is decorated in a Celtic design woven in gold and green fabric itself. And on the table, there are toast bread, omelettes, watermelons and grapes, tea, and waffles.

"So, what are your hobbies, Tife?"

"I love writing, and making friends." I grinned.

"Yours?" I threw a berry in my mouth.

"I love chasing the girls." He wiggled his brow playfully at me while I hissed loudly.

"What? Is that a bad thing?" He wiggled his two fingers in my face.

"I have no choice over what you do." I shrugged my shoulders and moved on to the eggs.

"I know you don't like your job." He blurted out all of a sudden, making me pause my food.