12

I fidgeted with my pillow as we sat in silence. I wasn't sure what else to say, and I was a little scared to ask him what he thought. I leaned my head down, taking a deep breath, listening to the sound of the party winding down outside of my bedroom. I knew everyone would begin heading to Froggie's soon.

"Avery, look at me, please." He finally spoke softly. I brought my head up, my eyes meeting his. "I told you this before, and it's even more true for me now; I think you are incredibly strong. I'm grateful that you were finally able to tell me all of these things, and while it pained me to hear of what you've gone through, it only makes me see you with even more admiration. You're utterly amazing. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, but I am so thankful that you made it, and you're here with me now." He brushed his hand on my cheek, rubbing his thumb down and smiling at me while staring into my soul; at least it felt like it. "I don't want to make this worse, I have to ask... what happened out there that brought this on?"

'Oh God,' I thought to myself, I had almost forgotten that Haden himself was in my living room, or at least was in my living room and was the younger brother of Gage?!

"Um, the boy I mentioned from the Foster Home. Haden. That was him, is him, out there with Gage." I spoke barely above a whisper, almost afraid they'd come if they heard me talking about them.

I didn't as much as get those words out as Liam was up and out of my room. I jumped up, following behind him, praying he wouldn't do anything to make a scene or get himself in trouble. There weren't nearly as many people in the apartment now, as I assumed; they were all heading out to Froggie's. Unfortunately, Gage, Haden, and their friend were still there and were talking with Stacia. I stood back for a moment, watching Liam as he stormed straight up to them, pulled his arm back, and sunk his fist right into Haden's face. Haden immediately fell to the ground as I gasped, and Stacia screamed out, "What the fuck was that?!" as she held Gage back from retaliating or defending his brother.

"You need to go and don't bother coming back here; you got it?" He spat at the group.

"What is your deal, Liam?!" She screamed at him, then seeing me, "Avery, what the hell?!"

Haden finally got back onto his feet and started to Liam, but Liam caught his arm before his hand could make contact. I was oddly impressed with his fighting skills.

"I told you, you all need to go and do not come back." He stated coldly again.

"We're guests of Stacia and Avery; if they want us to leave, then we will," Gage said hatefully. 

"And if you punch my brother or any of us again, I can't promise you'll still have that pretty face." I shuddered hearing him speak so hatefully at Liam, it reminded me of Haden, and I was surprised I hadn't seen the resemblance. Though it had been several years, he still looked the same. He was just a little more mature in the physical sense. Seeing them together, they definitely looked like the brothers they were.

"I'd like for you all to leave, please," I spoke up, my voice cracking.

"See, the lady would like for you to leave." Liam nodded toward me but didn't move an inch from in front of them.