1

"I can't believe we're actually going to college." Stacia squealed as we drove along in the car, heading to Freshman move-in day at the University.

"I know, right?! I have dreamt of this day for so long!" I squealed along with her.

Stacia and I had been friends for at least six years. Like a sister to me, Stacia was my best friend, and I couldn't imagine doing this part of life with anyone else.  Raised by a single mother, who was unstable at best, I spent some time in and out of Foster Care homes. Thankfully, after meeting Stacia and being friends for a while, her parents decided to take me in. I worked my ass off to get to this point, graduate despite all of the drama that came with my Mother, and to be on my own basically; I worked hard to get the grades to get a scholarship to even go to college. I skipped parties, no boyfriends, or even hanging out with friends, every minute was preparing for this, and I was so ready.

"Hello? Earth to Avery!" Stacia sang.

"Sorry, got lost in my head for a minute." I laughed.

"Well, stop it! You did it, you made it, and we're going to have so much fun. You are going relax and let that hair down and have fun, okay?" She fussed at me.

Stacia was almost opposite from me. She was wild and crazy, partied all through high school, and was seldom at home. I loved her, though, and that was what I loved about her, the ability she had to embrace life and go for it. Lucky for her, she had parents who could support her into college, and I suppose fortunate for me to be her friend, as they were putting us both up in an apartment close to campus.

"I'll try, but I have to keep my grades up to keep the scholarship so I can't go too crazy," I stated, in all seriousness.

"Oh my God, Avery! Chill! You're so old in such a young body." Stacia groaned, playing with her phone.

We drove for a few more hours, attending a college in the state but a few hours away from home. We pulled into the apartment complex, which sat right next to the college dorm campus area. There were tons of cars and young people milling about. Some carrying boxes into the apartments, some unloading their vehicles, some just socializing. Music was blaring, everyone seemed to be excited and having a good time.

"This is gonna be good!!" Stacia rubbed her hands together, smiling from ear to ear.

* * * *

"I think that was the last box." Stacia plopped down onto the floor, taking the box down with her.

"It should be; I don't remember filling the car with all this stuff." I giggled, handing her a soda.

"Todd, text me; he wanted to make sure we made it okay," Stacia said, looking through her phone, speaking about one of her many male friends. I couldn't call him a boyfriend as Stacia refused to commit to just one guy. She liked playing the field as she put it.

"0 people have texted me." I teased, looking at my phone.

"Seriously, Avery?" She grabbed my phone out of my hand.

"It's not even on!" She threw it back at me.

"I know, the battery died. Guess I should get it charged in case someone might want to contact me."

"Get it charged up cause we're going out tonight! Celebrating our first night of freedom!" Stacia cried out.

"No, c'mon. We just got here. We need to put stuff away and get everything settled." I groaned.