3: The Dedication Of A Butler

I had a sneaking suspicion that I was being watched.

   Whipping my head to my right side, I was met with the shiny, algebra classroom window. Nothing but bending trees and windblown grass. The cruddy playground stood 30 yards away.

   The blowing wind, carrying nature's debris reminded me of this morning's encounter.

                                                  _____________________________________

   "I see that you haven't changed a bit," his face twisted up into an admiring half-smile as he easily escaped my iron grip and padded my cheek with his forefinger. "Still the same self-conscious, yet extremely-proud, cynical, no-nonsense person."

                                                                                            *

   Demitri moved his hand up to my temple and tapped my forehead.

   A short vision screened in my head: A handsome man in a black servant outfit. His eyes were sly, black globes that were obviously filled with a happy feeling of content. He stood high above me with a silver platter which held a china dish atop it. Desert resembling blueberry cheesecake flashed through my eyes.

                                                  _____________________________________

   I still hadn't been able to ascertain what exactly had happened back then. He attacked me, but hadn't seemed intent on hurting me. At least not mentally. But he was dangerous.

   My natural instinct was to come up with some ideas on why a young, elementary school kid would come after me, charming me, endangering me, just...Making me feel weird.

   So far, all my guesses had been either impossible or extremely embarrassing.

     1) Demitri was really a hired assassin obviously trying to rip me apart by first confusing me and then ripping my guts apart using the raw power I saw with my own eyes this morning.

     2) The boy was an orphan (like me) who confused me with his deceased older sister.

     3) Or he really was my butler...{NOT POSSIBLE}.

   There was nothing I could do until I figured out what was going on. Demitri was obviously gifted with powers on how to enter the human mind and send his visions.

   But why would he show me a vision of his father? Well, I only guessed that the man in the clip had been his relative because they looked almost exactly alike. (Instantly changing emotions; glossy, black hair; pale, albatross skin; and mysterious, secretive eyes.)

   The bell rang as the elder substitute teacher finished her boring lecture.

   I slyly slipped outside of the room before all the other, larger, more imposing teens exited.

   Life was boring but never tiring. My schedule remained the same all the time. Change was not something that I particularly liked unless it was in my favor. That was why I didn't like the abnormal happenings that occurred earlier.

   You would be surprised to discover that even though I remained known as "the Ice Queen" (for reasons that still appear unknown) in school, I was the most watched in the hallways and in class. My hair's strange color was probably the reason for the stares but I always felt like it wasn't my hair that they were all interested in...

   But I had no interest in the minds of such overly-dramatic and deceptive people. I saw and heard everything in school and the nasty things girls' and guys' did would come back to bite them.

   Something flickered in my peripheral vision. As I turned the corner to enter my Honors English classroom, I looked back to glimpse at a head of midnight-black hair disappearing in the dispersing crowd.

   Had I just imagined it? Or had I seen the 10 year old boy following me from a distance?

   I could only applaud him on his persistence.

   Spooked. Shocked. Irritated. Frightened. All these words described the feelings that passed over me as I turned to enter my classroom.

   But for some reason, for just one moment......

   I'd felt the pure, bitter-sweet feeling of relief.