5│HOMETOWN HERO

Start from the beginning

"And ate our papers," the dark-haired boy added.

"Good. We've got our stories straight." The pair went up to talk to their teacher as the jock was finishing up.

"Hey, Dr. Sorrell—"

"No," the man cut them off flatly.

"You know what?" Cory said, "why don't I handle this because Dr. Sorrell and I have the kind of close-knit relationship that goes way beyond student-teacher. I mean, we are very tight."

🌎🌎🌎

Later that night, the two boys climbed through the window as Cory complained the whole time. "He didn't even know my name."

"What are you so upset about?" Shawn asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Could it be staying up all night to finish my paper?"

"Maybe if we actually took Julie's advice and did our papers on time—" Shawn started, but then he rolled his eyes. "Who am I kidding?"

"Could it be breaking into school so my paper's not late?" Cory continued as if the other boy hadn't spoken. "Or could it be losing half my pants on the barbed wire?"

"I don't know why you didn't just walk through the gates like I did," Shawn said.

"It was too easy. It looked like a trap."

"Come on, let's look over here," the dark-haired boy suggested.

"You know what bugs me the most?" Cory asked, "Tommy the football hero gets a free ride for throwing a stupid lucky touchdown, Jack the rich kids gets one for being, well, rich, and Juliet gets one beca—"

"Don't rag on Julie, Cory," Shawn warned him, "and let me tell you something about breaking and entering. You usually don't hang around and vent while you're doing it but while we're at it, I'll join you in throwing dirt on Montacute."

"You're only jealous because he's with Juliet," Cory pointed out. "You don't actually care that he got a free ride."

"Please, Cory, I'm not jealous," Shawn scoffed.

"Yes, and I'm an eight hundred pound gorilla," Cory said sarcastically. "Shawn, everybody knows that you like Juliet except for Juliet. Can I get back to what I was saying? Tommy's only fooling himself if he thinks this hero's stuff is gonna carry him through life."

"Oh, yeah, Troy Aikman and Bill Gates are really hurting."

"All I'm saying is, he's heading for a fall if he believes his own hype."

"C'mon," Shawn sighed, "let's just put our papers on the desk and get out of here" He took out his paper. "We are home free," then, his flashlight went out. "Uh-oh."

"Okay, okay. But I need a flashlight."

"We need matches now. Alright, we're in a chem lab, there's gotta be matches around here somewhere, right?" Cory asked as he looked around. Then he spotted them. "Ta-da, matches!"

"As some famous guy once said: let there be light," Shawn remarked.

Cory lit the match box by accident, causing a bigger flame than he intended. "Ow, ow, ow," he yelled as he ran to the trashcan and tossed them in there. The entire bin caught on fire.

"Backdraft!" Shawn yelled, and the two boys scrambled out the window.

Once they were safely on the ground, Cory turned to his best friend. "Was the fire out when you left?"

"It's a trashcan fire. It'll go out by itself or tomorrow when they take out the trash," he answered.

"Shawn, Shawn, it's a chemistry lab. Chemicals explode."