16│STORMY WEATHER

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ sᴛᴏʀᴍʏ ᴡᴇᴀᴛʜᴇʀ ꒱

❝ WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"What time did you say your board meeting was?" Juliet asked.

Jack, who was lying on his bed with his head in her lap, looked up from the book he was reading. "Five. Why?"

The redhead glanced up from her own book to look at the clock that sat next to the boy's bed. "It's nearly five now. I should get going."

She closed her book, Dune, and moved her legs from under the blond's head. The boy whined slightly, making her roll her eyes. Once, she probably would've found that cute; now it was tolerable at best. "You don't want to be late, Jackie."

He huffed slightly before he sat up and put his current read, The Giver, on his bedside table. "I wish I didn't have to attend these things," he complained, "they're so boring."

"Yes, you've said," Juliet replied, only partially playful. They were all he seemed to be able to talk about these days. She remembered when they could still hold actual conversations about things they wanted to do, things that interested them and most importantly, things that weren't one-sided. Instead of saying anything, though, she brushed her clothes straight and picked up her book. "Walk me out?" she offered as compensation despite knowing the way by heart now.

Nodding, the boy led her through a maze of corridors and winding staircases until they reached the entrance door. They ignored the cold as they paused outside on the front stoop with the door still open. He took the girl's wrists gently in his hands and pulled her closer to him. "I'm glad we were able to spend this time together, Julie."

Immediately, she stiffened. "Don't call me that."

"Why not?" he sounded genuinely confused, "I thought I'd try out—"

"Well, don't."

"Don't what?"

What she really wanted to say was don't think, but that would lead to another fight that she didn't feel like having right now. Instead, she sighed. "I don't mind Ocean Eyes. Can you just stick with that?"

Jack looked suspicious. "Do you not want me to call you Julie because that's what Hunter calls you?"

Yes. "No," she shot back defensively, "I just like it when you call me Ocean Eyes."

"Well, you've gotten a little tense when I've called you that recently so I didn't think you liked it anymore," the boy said, his expression still guarded. "It's got nothing to do with Hunter, right?"

"Not everything has to do with Shawn, Jack. You always try to pin the blame on him," her tone was exasperated, "can't we just remember what a nice time we had and focus on that?"

The blond closed his eyes for a minute before he opened them again. "You're right, Ocean Eyes. Sorry."

She made a conscious effort not to stiffen. A nickname that had once made her feel rather giddy had the complete opposite effect and Jack seemed to be picking up on that.

"It's okay," she said as she pulled on his arm slightly to cause him to lean down. As Jack's warm lips pressed against hers (she ignored the twist of nausea that definitely wasn't butterflies) neither teen noticed a sleek, black car pull up in front of the steps.