02

02 : Who Are You?

02 : Who Are You?

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

The white moonlight sliced through the clouds that dared to block it. The rain had ceased its storm, leaving the silver clouds to linger in the midnight sky.

Silence engulfed the entire car ride. She drove in isolation at this point. Her car drove on these lonely roads, lightened up only from time to time by dim lampposts. Her right hand gripped the top of the steering wheel as her other arm rested on the car's armrest.

From a far distance, Soyoung's sharp eyes had spotted a building—the abandoned factory. Soyoung checked her rearview mirror again, perceiving the good sign of how no one was behind her.

Soyoung wasn't nervous at all. Murders and drug dealing have been normalized ever since joining the Black Roses. She was only 19 years into her life...and had she concluded that she might die one day? Yes.

Being a mafia gang member was life risking, and Soyoung had accepted that fact long before. When becoming a gang member, dedicating your entire life is only a promise you have to make. Soyoung didn't have anything to lose anyway.

Soyoung carried no memories of her parents. Her parents didn't exist in her life, for she was an orphan. Her parents and family lived in the unknown, so she had no idea where she had come from. Sweet memories of traditional family gatherings and heartfelt moments in a warm living room simply never blessed her cold, lonely life. 

After meeting the realization that only backstabbers and liars roamed the world, she only had one route to go. Many turned to the Mafia due to the lack of good income, or to find a sense of meaning and belonging. However, Soyoung didn't work in the mafia for anyone but herself. She only craved jobs and goals to complete. Life is just a business, nothing more after all.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

The atmosphere was dead. Color had vanished in this factory long ago. Nothing but the perilous unknown replaced its life. The air shivered, blowing gentle yet deadly cold winds.

Soyoung arrived at the abandoned factory soon enough, and she took note of a few cars in the parking lot, assuming they belonged to the targets she needed to assassinate. Soyoung parked far from those cars, and she quietly closed her car door with her hip while briskly tying her hair up in a high ponytail. She pulled out her gun, heating the grip's cold metal by the warmth of her palm.

She eventually snuck her way into the abandoned factory. The ceiling was created of glass, welcoming the luminous moonlight into the building. Soyoung's eyes adjusted through the thick shadows while taking steady steps. Only a few more steps in, and she could already hear chattering voices from the very center. Soyoung immediately hid behind a pole and large rusted metal tanks–the pistol held close to her chest as she stayed hidden.