18

18 : A Drug As Sweet As Sugar

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

"Have you guys ever tasted human blood?" Sora asked casually as her eyes trailed down a red-coated blade.

Soyoung sighed. I would be working alone if you two weren't newbies I needed to guide, she thought sarcastically. "Sora, just help clean up the bloody mess," Soyoung said, tossing a towel at the woman's chest.

"Taste it. You'll only get a disease if you swallow another's blood," Valerie deadpanned to Sora, strolling past the elder.

"I'd like to taste yours then," Sora teased as she approached Valerie from behind. Sora wrapped her arm around Valerie's neck, raising the blade to her throat. "Infect me."

Sora sultrily licked her berry-tinted lips, shedding light on her pearly whites. However much space had been violated, Valerie's expression remained unfazed. "I won't hesitate to slice that smirk off your face," Valerie warned.

"How cold," Sora chuckled, twirling the knife in her hand and releasing Valerie.

"How am I younger than you two?" Soyoung shook her head. She prepared a black trash bag until a phone notification interrupted. Soyoung hummed as she read a text message and glanced at the two curious women in front of her. "Boss wants to have a team meeting in an hour."

"Oh, a team meeting, you say?" Sora walked over to Soyoung like a curious cat. "Is shit about to go down?"

"It could just be a meeting about supplies, income, or the business in general," Soyoung replied.

"Aw, boo. That's boring."

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

The meeting began shortly after all of the girls gathered together. The girls settled in their seats around the long glass table. Soyoung, Sora, and Valerie claimed their seats next to each other.

Chaerin sat in her usual spot at the very end. Her stern silver eyes drenched the whole room in frost. Her unreadable expression created curiosity within the room.

"So...it seems like NCT wants to continue playing around," Chaerin began. "First, they interfere with our planned assassination, then they meddle with one of my partnerships...A few of you have attempted to take over a popular dealing spot, but we were outnumbered due to some of their supposed partnerships." She settled her chin on her folded hands. "Here's what we're going to do, ladies."

The room grasped onto the silence tighter. What was Chaerin planning in her head? Knowing this sharp-minded, deliberate woman, she wouldn't design an outrageous plan...would she? Light reflected off Chaerin's glare like a blade—sharp at one edge yet steady on the opposite end.

"We're going to sabotage them. We'll switch out their cocaine shipment with powdered sugar," Chaerin revealed. Surprised reactions wandered around the room.

"Ah yes, boss! I love it," Sora announced, shooting her hands into the air as she sat back.

"Excuse Sora, she's high," Soyoung deadpanned.

Sora feigned a gasp as her hand flew to her chest. "Darling...how'd you know?"

Chaerin cleared her throat, recollecting their attention. "I've purchased a whole crate of bagged powdered sugar. According to the schedules I've looked into, NCT will obtain their cocaine on Friday night," Chaerin explained. "Their supplies are arriving at one of their warehouses tomorrow tonight, and I need a group of you to switch out the crates. Our supply runners should be able to take care of this mission."

"Wait, but boss," One of the girls said, raising her hand. "We actually have to run for our own supplies tomorrow night."

Chaerin blinked into a blank stare. "Of course you are," she huffed to herself. "I'm sorry. The dates have slipped from my mind...But if our main runners can't complete this job, who else here is up for it?"

The room fell silent. Chaerin arched her brow, scanning her binder planner on her left. "Alright then. Soyoung, Sora, Valerie, and Kim Lip," she called. "I believe you four can handle this since you're free–you'll be paid extra. Valerie and Sora will gain experience as well."

Soyoung's heart dropped. Ever since their argument, they hadn't spoken a word to each other. Every time Soyoung thought of Kim, memories clenched her heart, forcing a baffling war between regret and resentment. Soyoung's mind almost stranded the meeting room, but she nodded once Chaerin's eyes landed on her. "Yes. We'll be able to do it, Boss," Soyoung agreed.

Chaerin's eyes shifted to Kim Lip, whose eyes had lowered. "I can do it, boss," Kim said.

Soyoung gripped her sleeves. She refused to even gander at Kim. Although Soyoung wasn't looking, she sensed Kim's eyes burning into her skin.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

- The Next Night -

"Cold, fresh air," Sora said as she hopped out of the manor's entrance. "It's so cold, though. Val, hold me and lend me your warmth, please?"

"What in the Hell makes you think I'd hold you?" Valerie shot.

"Fine, don't get jealous if I hug Soyoung instead, hmph." Sora latched onto the younger, who sighed and patted Sora's clinging arms. However, Sora's puppy eyes lingered on Valerie.

"I know you're staring at me. I'm not letting you touch me," Valerie deadpanned. As Sora pinched at the back of Valerie's shirt, she earned a slight flinch. Valerie's eyes darkened, but she extended her arm anyway, inviting Sora to hook onto her arm.

Soyoung mentally cursed Sora for leaving her. She was now stuck beside Kim as they headed to the van. The winds had thickened into silence, and the shivering cold no longer scraped Soyoung's skin...for Kim occupied her worries. Soyoung rummaged through her mind in search of comfort. Jisung, just think of Jisung. A soft smile blessed her lips momentarily, but Jisung could only do so much.

In the corner of Soyoung's eye, Kim's blonde hair swayed with the rhythm of her steps. Soyoung's heartbeat constantly rushed when it needed a breather. She inhaled, attempting to share a calm breath to her heart. After finally regaining her focus, Soyoung raised her chin.

"I can drive us," Soyoung said–except another voice had followed her in unison.

Soyoung and Kim shot glances at each other. They hadn't fallen into eye contact for days or weeks. Soyoung's hands wrinkled up into fists at her sides.

"It's okay. I'll drive," Kim determined, speeding up her pace.

No matter how long it had been since their argument, Kim's blank voice shattered Soyoung's thoughts like a stone bullet. Soyoung entered back into reality, watching as the blonde walked off to claim the driver's seat. Soyoung nodded, and she followed Sora to the back seats.