"Split ends? You are kidding me. You have got the healthiest hair, I have ever seen and it is noticeable. I would have seen it if you weren't hiding in this boring chignon." She threaded her fingers in my hair, evading my personal space. "And what's with the new look anyway. You-" She stopped abruptly, as I winced from pain when she tugged on them unintentionally.

"Oh my god, Zara. They're tangled." She said in her usual loud voice making a scene out of my misery. "And greasy..." She rubbed her fingers together feeling the stickiness on them. My embarrassment over the negligence toward my preen transmuted into anger.

"If you please excuse me. I have a class to teach." I snapped at her trying to get my hair back again, as she went to examine it further.

"Did you and Gian... Is it over? " She whispered tentatively, her eyes looking around to make sure no one is eavesdropping.

My stomach dropped, my nose began to prickle, my eyes stung badly to spill the tears as soon as it came out of her mouth. At least she had the decency to say it quietly.

"I am so sorry." She whispered, placing her palm over my shoulder. I shrug my shoulder in anger making her hand fall to her sides. Her eyes winded in shock to see my reaction.

"We were not seeing each other. Whatever you want to call it. But please, leave me alone. I need some personal space, alright." I strangled out turning to leave. But Helen came in front of me and gave me a hug. Slowly my hands moved to hug her back a little.

"I know I am not a good friend." She whispered, pulling back from the hug. Her eyes held the light moistness in them as she spoke. "I was raised in foster care. The kids over there, they were not exactly my brothers and sisters. The way we were raised. I only learned to think about myself. Then I met you, Zara. I tricked you into doing so many of my duties..."

Choked laughter released from a mouth. She glared at me playfully, so I pursed my lips shut.

"And then came David. He is the most amazing man, I have ever met. So selfless and caring. I know I'll never be good enough for him. But I am still selfish, so I am not going to leave him ever. Even though I know he deserves better."

"But I want to be a good person for him, for you. If there's anything you want to tell me, you can. Trust me, please. I won't tell anyone." She pleaded, her own eyes were pooling in tears.

"There is nothing to tell." I dismiss her with a smile. She nodded looking right through my lie. But she stepped back not prodding to the conversation further, for now.

*****

The week passed in a blur. I channeled my loneliness by doing what I did when I lived in Canada. I filled that empty space being productive. Tiring myself out by working in the flower pots I had. This was Mrs.Tanner's simple therapeutic technique to deal with the stress. And when there was nothing left to do with them, I bought 50 more and placed them outside my house.

"Hey, you can't put the flower pots there." A man shouted at me through the balcony of the apartment building beside my house.

"Call the cops then." I shouted back. He wasn't the only man who had been surprised by my outburst. Yesterday I'd lashed out at one of my honey bee's mother.

Blake had scratches on his face and arms. I immediately talked with the principal Mrs. Regio. We called in Blake's mother Lucy after school hours and had small chat at the office after. I choose to stand, leaning to the wall my gaze flickering between Mrs. Regio and Mrs. Lucy Pullman. They were dressed like they were going to have a tea party, I looked like a troll compared to them.

"These scratches..." She tipped her head back and let out fake laughter, biting on her acrylic nails. "They are nothing. look.." She showed Mrs. Regio some pictures on her phone, then turned the screen toward me. Mrs. Pullman was wearing a boat neck black dress with full sleeves. The entire dress was filled with sequins and heavy stonework. They were extremely sharp on the edges.

"Blake slept on the way back. I had to hold him in my arms. That's how he got the scratches." She laughed at the misunderstanding.

"You think this is funny." I say dryly.

"Sorry? " She blinked at me.

"This whole situation..." I pointed to the phone in her hand, then to the door. "I don't see the humor in it, Mrs. Pullman. Look at the scratches. It is close to his eyes. He could have gotten badly hurt with that dress of yours." I almost shout at her.

"Miss. Sinclair." Mrs. Regio said in warning.

"Excuse me.!" Mrs. Pullman shrieked in her original nasal voice, placing her arm over her chest. "Are you trying to mom-shame me? "

"I don't know what fancy word negligent women..."

"Miss. Sinclair." The principal said sharply, but ignored her warning and continued.

"...Like you are using these days to hide your mistakes but.."

"That's enough Miss. Sinclair... Please, wait outside." Mrs. Regio slapped her palms over the table, making Mrs. Pullman jump slightly. Her gaze flickered between us, with wide fearful eyes.

"Not happening." I snap without averting my gaze from Mrs. Pullman.

"Did you see her defiance? This unstable woman teaches my son." Mrs. Pullman gasped, overdoing the disbelief in her voice. I crossed my arms across my chest, rolling my eyes. She can't be real.

"Miss Sin-"

"I heard you. And you Mrs. Pullman. I would have bought your excuse to be accidental and unintentional. Which it is. Because it came from the small photoshoot you had with your son, for #momlife pictures on Instagram. Yes, I have seen the post. And I will find a hundred identical ones in it until you got the perfect picture to upload." That silenced her.

"I shouldn't speak of your personal life choices. But I request you with folded hands, to hire another nanny. Because there hadn't been an ounce of ointment on his scratches." I say smoothly, wrapping my tone in honey for her. Giving a slight nod to Mrs. Regio I walked out.

Helen had been outside the office with Blake the whole time, listening to everything that had been said. I walked past her ignoring her pleas and another the day without seeing Gian.

I wore his t-shirt again to sleep and blanketed his jacket over my body. As I curled myself in a fetal position until I fell asleep in exhaustion.

*****

Hey, honey.!!! Thank you for reading. Please don't forget to VOTE ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐for the chapter and leave your COMMENTS below.

I would love it if you check out my other stories, 'Aurora's Aura' , 'His Captive' , 'Becoming Romeo' ,'Married To Become Mr. & Mrs. Billionaire' & 'Violet Hues'. Story link is on my profile

I also have a YouTube channel, named "Sabhyata Sahu" Please check it out and if you like the content SUBSCRIBE to it.