t h i r t y - o n e : d i s t a n c e

THIRTY-ONE: d i s t a n c e

I walked in that morning and immediately knew that something wasn't right. Ben and Theresa were working away silently, which was odd considering they're usually in a state of constant banter. It wasn't just the silence that was odd, their eyes remained downcast as if they were purposefully avoiding my gaze.

"Where's Austin?" I asked glancing around, I figured he my st be out flipping chairs. At first neither seemed willing to break the silence but just as I went to open my mouth and repeat myself Theresa cut me off.

"He quit," her voice came out muffled and her eyes skirted mine quickly attempting to gage my reaction.

"Why are you both acting like that?" I asked looking between them.

"Acting like what sweetie?" Theresa asked but her voice was too light.

"Like you think I'm going to freak out or something!" I demanded. I made my voice louder, as if to shatter whatever in the air made them feel the need to be so quiet.

"Can you blame us? You two are in love," Ben muttered. I wanted to scream in frustration. I didn't want to be in love with anyone, anymore. I shut my eyes tightly wishing that there was a way I could wake up and it be four weeks ago.

The thing I hated most was that I was upset that he wasn't here. He should be here, and I know that the only reason he wasn't was because I was.

"I'm not in love with him," I whispered in a quiet voice. I said it because I wanted it to be true, after everything that happened I wasn't sure if I loved him or I hated him.

Looking back I wished he'd chased after me; the day I had stupidly said I didn't want to be another competition, and I was so angry that he hadn't.

The morning progressed similarly. I would work quietly while Theresa and Ben shot me worried glances. To be honest I hadn't been great at the whole customer service thing, and most of the customers looked disappointed to see that Austin wasn't there.

That morning I felt overwhelmingly alone. I couldn't seem to find Ava, Celia, Finn or Austin. Elliot, Zane and I end up submerging ourselves in tense silence, none of today felt right.

We were supposed to tell Celia today, but the odds of that happening were slim now. After school as I headed home I was quickly stopped by the last person I wanted to see.

"He's leaving," Finn's eyes narrowed and he seemed angry to be saying it. "He's staying in the country with our grandparents for a week to 'clear his head' and then he'll decide what he wants to do," he practically spat.

"I don't know why you're saying this as if it's my fault," I said surprised. Finn and I never fought, yes a lot of things had changed between us but I was hoping we could be friends again. Even if we would never be as close as we had been.

"It is your fault, do you think I'm blind? I know what's been going on between you two," he said. I was about to tell him it was none of his damn business when he cut me off.

"When Austin got back life supposed to get better, but everything just got worse. My best friend stopped talking to me so that she had more time to drool of my own brother. Slowly everything started falling apart, and now Celia's broken up with me-" he was saying a lot of things I didn't really care about but then I heard about Celia.

"When?" I asked.

"This morning," he replied. Before he could continue his pathetic speech I ran off in the direction of Celia's house, which thankfully only about 5 minutes away.

I knocked on the door rapidly and didn't stop till the door slowly opened. Ava stood behind door.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked her. I felt betrayed, like Ava preferred Celia over me. I couldn't blame her is she did I had been pretty pathetic lately.

"We heard about Austin and figured you'd have enough on your plate," as the words left her mouth I finally clued in that Austin had been who Finn was talking about. I couldn't believe I had been so oblivious.

Celia appeared behind Ava's shoulder. "Go talk to him and come straight back as soon as you're done," I nodded giving her a small smile of appreciation.

I darted off in the direction and by the time I got to Austin's house I was a panting mess. The front door was ajar so I walked in and then darted up to Austin's room.

"Don't go," I said as I dashed through his bedroom door. Austin didn't even look up as he continued to pack his things. "Look at me," I said my voice quieter. I was suddenly feeling a lot less confident, what had I thought was going to happen? I had run in here without a plan.

"Kristy," Austin's voice was quiet when his eyes met mine yet he managed to still sound sure of himself.

"Please don't go," I said. When he took a step closer to me I wasn't sure if it was because he wanted to be closer to me, or because he couldn't hear me.

"Why shouldn't I?" He asked

"Elliot, Zane and even Finn. Think of all the people who you've grown close to," I said trying to sound convincing.

"What about you?" He asked. I paused, I didn't want to say the wrong thing and I didn't want to lie.

"What about me?"

"None of the people you mention came running here to convinced me to stay, why are you here?" Austin's voice wasn't condescending like I had expected him to be. He just sounded curious.

"I need you here," I said but the words were coming out wrong.

"I'll make you a deal," he said and I nodded, I'd do anything if it meant he'd stay. "If you can look me in the eyes and honestly tell me that you love me, I'll stay."

"That's not fair, your never told me you loved me," I said.

"Yes I did," he said hurt flashed across his face but he quickly hid it.

His eyes searched mine as he waited for me to say it, but I was lost in thought. When had he said it, did he mean metaphorically? Had I just not been listening?

"That's what I thought," he said then stalked out of his own room.

I went to leave, but something caught my eye. The Philosopher's Stone sat on top of his suitcase. I thought about taking it, but the truth was I wanted him to carry around something that would remind him of me.

I walked back to Celia's house slowly, no longer fueled by adrenaline. I couldn't help but think that my gym teacher would have been proud of all of my running today, especially considering I almost passed out on the twelve minute run.

It was only when I was retelling them what had happened that it finally hit me. Austin had admitted that he loved me.

I wish I'd said it back.

AN

I know it feels like it's dragging out a bit, I'm sorry but I promise you it's worth it if you stick with me! ILYSM ♡