f o u r t e e n : k n o w i n g n o t h i n g a t a l l

FOURTEEN: k n o w i n g n o t h i n g a t a l l

Theresa wasn't in that morning and Ben was more than a little panicked as he attempted to run the show. He was sweating up a storm, and he stuttered a couple times while taking customers orders. Not to mention his hands were shaking so bad, it was a wonder he hadn't spilled anything yet.

"Look, why don't you take a break, we've got this," I told Ben. He looked like he wanted to say no, but he knew he needed a break.

I walked up to take the order of a fairly shy girl. She had came in every morning ever since I remember working here. She ordered her coffee and muffin as per usually. I noticed she forgot her muffin after she sat down so I took one to her.

"Forgot this," I said setting it down by her. She smiled apologetically.

"Get back over here Kris you're supposed to be working," Austin called from the counter. The shy girls eyes looked as if they were caught in headlights.

"You should get back to your boyfriend," she mumbled.

"He's not my boyfriend!" I said but at that point she was reading her book again and I don't think she heard me.

I quickly got back to work. I turned to go give the next person in line their order when Austin stopped me. I looked down to his hand on my waist and back up to him. He didn't drop his hand so I took a step back.

"Is there a reason you and Ben are both so out of it this morning?" Austin asked. Ben was out of it, that I agreed with, but me? I was perfectly fine.

"I'm not out of it," I whisper shouted trying not to gain too much attention.

"Really?" He asked skeptically. I nodded in reassurance. He opened the lid and I was met with the hot drink I had just made, I wasn't quite sure what he meant to prove, it wasn't as if I had poisoned it.

"What?"

"Isn't this missing something?" He asked. I shook my head. He then took a stir stick out of the pocket of his apron and drew a quick flower. I blinked quickly. How could I have forgotten my own rule?

"I'm not demanding you tell me what's bothering you, but if you need someone to talk to I'm here," he said and then went to hand my customer their drink while I stood there dumb founded.

I wasn't quite sure what was bothering me so much. Giving up on Finn hadn't been easy, and I wasn't close to over him yet. A part of me was sad to be letting go of something that had been so important to me for so long, I wasn't even sure I knew how to. But it wasn't just that. Ava had found someone who meant something to her, and I was happy for her. The only issue was that it was Zane. He was our friend now, yes. But of the troublesome trio he was the player, and I'm not sure Ava would be able to handle a broken heart.

"Excuse me," the next person in line called and I hurried over. He was about my age and quite cute in a boyish sort of way. It was quite odd the only guys my age who were ever really here were the twins.

"What would you like for today?" I asked. He went on to give me his order. I don't know why I felt almost guilty when I could feel Austin's eyes on me while I took the order. I was just doing my job. Sudden I felt like maybe I shouldn't have laughed when the boy had asked me for my number with his coffee.

Later when we got on the bus Ava nudged me. "So who was that guy you were talking to?"

"A customer," I said as if that had been what she was asking. Austin seemed intrigued as well.