t w e n t y : h o w c o u l d y o u

TWENTY: h o w c o u l d y o u

After our shift that morning Elliot joined Austin and I on our way to school as per usual.

"Hey, Kristy I've finished reading the Goblet of Fire," Elliot told me as we took our seats on the bus. It all started when he asked me how I spent my free time;

"So I need you to not take what I'm about to say the wrong way," he told me gauging my reaction. I wanted to protest that obviously if he thought there was a chance I would be offended there most likely was no right way to take it.

"Fine," I sighed, I mentally prepared myself for the worst thing he could possibly ask.

"So up until about 3 months ago you didn't have any friends-"

I cut him off. "Ava and Finn were my friends," I corrected. Personally I thought two friends should be thought of as quite the accomplishment. Harry, Hermione and Ron hadn't needed anyone but each other.

"Of course, I just meant you ended up spending alot of time alone," he said. I started to feel sad, I guess it was true, I had spent alot of my time alone. I nodded so that he would continue. "What did you do, to pass the time?" He asked me.

"Why do you want to know?" I asked him. Generally curious as to why Elliot who had insulted my attendance at library's would want to know how I spent my time.

"I was just thinking about taking up a new hobby, to you know," he looked up and glanced around the Theresa's to make sure nobody was looking at us. "Distract me from you-know-who."

I laughed at his unknown reference to Harry Potter. He was obviously lost as to what I found so funny.

"I'm sorry," I said taking a breath. "I sort of just ended up obsessing over Harry Potter."

"They're just some movies, I think that's unhealthy," he stated. I could feel steam escaping my ears and couldn't help my on coming rant.

"Just some movies? It's an entire universe. There are movies, books, fanfictions, fan art, and basically just this big online community. So yes it is unhealthy but never call it just some movies again!" I announced angrily. He looked taken aback, as a matter of fact the whole room did. Then I noticed how loud I must have been and completely forgot how angry I had been, now I was blushing and looking down.

"Point taken," Elliot had said. "So do you own these books?" He asked me. I nodded. "Can I borrow them?" He asked sounding uncharacteristicly shy.

"Yes, but your going to have to sign a contract promising not to ruin them," I stated. He laughed and then noticed I was completely serious. I had learned from lending my books to Finn and Ava in the past that not everyone makes maintaining my books as much of a priority as I do.

That had been 2 weeks ago now. I had been quite surprised as to how quickly Elliot had been reading through them.

"Wow, you've only got three more books to go," I said smiling.

"I know," he said smiling proud of himself he then took the book out of his bag and giving it to me. I checked to make sure none of the pages were; ripped, folded, or wrinkled. When it passed my inspection I placed it in my bag.

"You're reading the Harry Potter books?" Austin asked Elliot surprised.

"Yeah, Kristy suggested it and I thought it couldn't hurt," Elliot shrugged downplaying the entire reason he was reading them.